Chap. 30 Clues

River's POV

I pushed yet another dollar into the vending machine and punched in "C5" the same way I had for the past four days. I tiredly bent down and pulled out what I'd ordered. Sour Patch Kids. My girl's favorite candy even though she claims she hates it. The very thought of Cat made my heart drop. It'd been four days and I hadn't gotten a single word about her whereabouts or what the Silencers wanted in exchange for her. I'd already cried enough tears that'd last me through the rest of the year, but no matter how many tears I shed or how loud my sobs were, it didn't change anything. It didn't change the fact that we'd brought her along into this dangerous life or how we'd been too weak to protect her. How I had been too weak to protect her. I promised her I'd always protect her, and look where it landed her; scared surrounded by people who could, and probably would hurt her with a bullet lodged in her thigh. The very thought filled me with rage causing me to angrily hit the vending machine. It swayed, but returned to the ground with a loud thud which caused a few people to look at me but I didn't care. I only cared about Cat.

Liam, Cat's father David, and I have tirelessly been trying to strategize on how to get her home safely all while David called me a few choice words, but I didn't mind. I knew I deserved it. It was my fault his daughter had been taken after all. But no matter how much he hates me for letting the light of both of our lives slip through the cracks of my fingers, it's nothing compared to how much I loathe myself. I looked down at the ring on my finger that was an exact copy of Cat's that was a constant reminder of our future together. The future that was becoming further and further away with every second that passed. I angrily ran my fingers through my hair before I began making my way back to Mason's room.

"No. Like you've said, your boy and River have already attacked them once, so they'll be on higher guard. Especially because they have someone that they know is important to the ruthless Riverdale Parker and that he'll do anything to get her back," David said, looking at me as he said my name.

"What?" I questioned as I pulled up a chair and sat on it backwards then opened my candies.

"Liam suggested a dumb plan to fix your mistakes," David jabbed as he leaned back in his chair, causing Liam to roll his eyes.

"At least I'm trying to find a way to get her back while you're just complaining and sitting on your-"

"Finish that sentence, boy. I dare you," David threatened as he got up in a stance that read "If you say one more word I'll punch you into next year." Good thing we're at a hospital then.

"Calm down you two," I said right as Liam opened his mouth. "I know we all miss her, but isn't going to get her back neither is throwing insults at each other, okay? Maybe we just need some time apart. Liam, I know I'm asking for a lot, but can you head over to HQ right quick to see they've gotten any word?" Liam looked at Mason's unconscious figure as his grip on Mason's hand became tighter. After a few moments he nodded.

"I'll go," he said, standing up then placing a gentle kiss on Mason's lips before hurrying out the door undoubtedly eager to not only get back to his lover, but to also see if there was a clue that would lead us back to Cat.

"David, do you mind staying here in case Mason wakes up? I'm going to check the hotel and see if they've seen or heard anything and I don't want him to be alone."

"Do what you need to do to find her and I'll stay here with Mason," David confirmed. I nodded before I walked out the door without another word, feeling the burn of David's gaze on me the whole way. I couldn't help the weird vibe I got from him. Granted, I haven't known him as long as Liam has and he trusts David as much as David seems to trust him, but there was just something about him that seemed a bit off to me. Nonetheless, I hurried through the hospital's complex hallways until I was in the parking garage where Liam was waiting in the car since we still only had one, but we still had some extras at the hotel. I wasted no time jamming the key in the ignition and hurrying toward our destination.

"What are we doing, River?" Liam questioned, leaning his head against the headrest and staring blankly up at the ceiling. "They're not going to tell us where she is unless they want us to know, and it's obvious that they don't want us to. Especially because their boss requested her. What if we let her down the moment we walked into that party? What if she's hurt? Or worse, what if she's already-"

"Liam, stop," I said through clenched teeth as rage and sorrow filled my being at the thought of any of those things. "Just stop. It's not going to do us any good if we think like that. Even if she's...gone, we'll avenge her by killing every bastard there or die trying, alright?"

Liam sighed and nodded in agreement. The rest of our ride continued in silence all the way to the hotel. "Call me as soon as you get anything, okay?" I instructed as we exited the car and Liam headed for another one of the many cars that had been provided for us.

"Understood," he nodded before sprinting toward the car of his choice. I hurried into the hotel and quickly headed to the elevator, silently cursing the laughing, smiling couples who continuously flowed in and out of the elevator causing it to constantly stop and start. After about three minutes of constantly riding up and down, I was standing in our suite, the last place Cat was safe.

I slowly walked into the kitchen and reminisced on all the laughs and kisses Cat and I had shared together. I looked at the counter where she'd sat that day when I'd been so eager to give myself to her. Why didn't I when I had the chance? Then we wouldn't have gone to the party and instead of waking up day after day wondering if she's safe, I'd wake up with a drunken smile at my beautiful baby girl that I love more than life itself.

I let out a yell as I slammed my fist into the granite countertop, ignoring the pain as I hit it again and again until my hand was red and raw, tears falling down my face all the while. I wiped my face before I slowly made my way to our bedroom. Her clothes were still all over the place and her scent still hung prominently in the air. I walked to our bed and picked up her Fort Leavenworth shirt that she wore to sleep and hugged it, greedily taking in her smell wishing she were actually here with her arms wrapped around me.

I slowly made my way to the bathroom and started a shower, holding onto the shirt as I did so. As soon as I deemed the water warm enough, I quickly stripped and climbed into the shower, and as if it were a wrecking ball to an overflowing dam, as soon as a drop of water touched my body, I broke down crying. I held Cat's now soaking wet shirt to my chest and I slid my back along the wall until I was sitting on the floor with water droplets bombarding me from above.

I let out loud ugly sobs mixed with frustrated screams and curses until my body physically didn't have anymore to give. I weakly got up and turned off the water before I wrung out Cat's shirt then I held it to my chest once more as I stepped out, but I came to a complete stop when I saw the numbers messily scribbled into the condensation on the mirror. Latitude and longitude. It was a message left by the Silencers and due to the numbers being crisp without running, I knew it was written before I'd gotten in the shower and not during the fact. Without wasting a second, I wrapped a towel around my waist before I hurried into Liam and Mason's room, jumping over random objects that littered their floor as I made a beeline to their bathroom. I turned on their shower as hot as it could go and waited impatiently to see if there was another message. And there was.

16th. 21:35. No earlier or later or she dies. Tread carefully. I swallowed before I quickly turned off the shower then I grabbed the nearest phone to me and dialed Liam.

"Hey River," he answered. "Look man, no one's heard a single thing from-"

"It's okay Liam," I said looking down at the damp shirt that was still in my hands. "I know where she is."

***
Hey guys, I know this is a shorter chapter but I didn't have a ton of time to write. Hopefully next chapter will be a bit longer. Anyway, let me know what you thought of this chapter by commenting and voting, etc. Also, I have this book up on Inkitt, so if you like this book vote for it, comment, and leave a review so that it can get published! My username on that is still ChicagoDreams and the link to my profile is in my bio, so please check it out it'd mean a lot to me.

Later Vader- Jordan

PS. Let me know if there are spelling/ grammar mistakes

PPS Where do you think Cat is and do you get a weird vibe from David? Let me know in the comments.