Chap. 39 Gunshots

Trigger warning: this chapter includes violence and assault. Feel free to skip this chapter if you want. You have been warned.

I took a deep breath as I looked at myself in the mirror. Katherine's "party" was set to start in an hour and I could swear you could see my heart beating outside of my chest.

I ran my sweaty palms over the top of the dress Katherine had gotten for me. It was an elegant, yet simple red dress that was off both shoulders with matching flats and a small black purse, even though I had nothing to carry. She'd even provided me with makeup. Granted, it was nothing more than some lipstick, a few neutral eyeshadows with the accompanying brushes, and mascara, but that was more than I needed.

I looked down at River's ring and instantly found comfort. I would finally get to see him and the boys again after what felt like lifetimes, and though it wasn't under ideal circumstances, I would be with them again. That is, if Kenny and I could carry out this plan and keep Katherine from having her way with them. I sighed. Once again, it was Katherine who was a roadblock. First she stood between my father and happiness before tearing apart our family, and now she's standing between me and those I love. It was like playing a huge game is Russian roulette to see what she would ruin next.

I shook my head. I needed to push the negative thoughts from my head and focus on the mission at hand: making sure I don't act too sus or else I'll ruin the whole plan and possibly cost people their lives. And death simply was not an option.

I quickly grabbed a brush and put my hair in a neat bun with a few loose strands to add some style. Kenny advised me to avoid having my hair down or else it could affect my vision and combat, if need be, so this was both stylish and practical.

I was about to start sliding on my shoes when there was a knock at the door, causing me to jump a bit. "Come in," I called as I straightened. Kenny also taught me that, as cliche as it sounds, confidence is key and if the dogs can't sense fear, they won't attack. But luckily, it was only Kenny and I had to admit that he cleaned up very nicely. His usually messy blonde hair was slicked back and he was dressed in a tux and dress shoes. He looked oddly elegant and classy, and I had to admit, if my heart and soul didn't belong to River, I might be swooning. But I'm not. Kenny's like a demented half-brother of sorts. But that's beyond the point.

"Hey Kenny," I said as I went back to putting on my shoes.

"Cat," he acknowledged with a nod as he walked in and closed the door behind him. "You look nice."

"Thanks. You're not too shabby for a psychopath yourself," I joked, causing him to narrow his eyes.

"Haha, your humor is impeccable, Caterina," he deadpanned.

I smiled. "Annoying you is too easy, I can't help it. You know what? I feel like you'd like my best friend Liam...if you two could go two seconds without potentially trying to kill each other...and if River doesn't kill you first...or if you don't try to kill him first. You know what? Let's just avoid all murder aspects because you're growing on me."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence, Cat," he flatly stated once more before he brandished a tie. "I need your help with this."

I couldn't help the memories that tugged at my heart as I rolled my eyes and chuckled. I remembered on River and I's first date I had to tie his bow tie for him and now...hopefully I can get back to him before the night's over and never let him go. My throat tightened, but I quickly cleared my throat and beckoned him over. "Alright, let's see what we can-"

"No," he said shaking his head. "We need to go in the bathroom. There's a mirror in there and I want to learn how to do this for myself."

My eyebrows furrowed as I looked at the huge body-length mirror he was standing right next to. "Kenny, you're standing right next to-?"