Chap. 17 Confessions

Chap. 17 Comfessions

I took a deep breath before I dove head first into what has the potential to be the worst decision of my existence.

"Riverdale, what am I to you?" I forced myself to ask before I got too scared and chickened out. The question had been burning within me since the night he saved me and every time I thought I knew, he'd do something that completely turned the tables.

A long silence screamed between us causing me to think that he hadn't heard me the first time. Just as I opened my mouth to say something, River responded just as we pulled into my driveway. "You're...I don't know," he answered as his eyebrows furrowed and I instantly felt a pang of hurt in my chest as tears sprung up in my eyes. I quickly turned away as anger and confusion clouded my head. I roughly grabbed River's hand and removed it from my body before I quickly unfastened my seatbelt and got out. "Baby girl-" River started, but was interrupted by me slamming the door and hurrying up to my front door in order for me to hide the tears that were falling down my face.

I mentally scolded myself for hoping that he'd give me the answer I wanted him to as I grabbed my spare key from behind my light fixture before I pushed the door open and stormed inside, closing the door behind me but not locking it.

You told yourself you wouldn't fall for him just to have him break you and that's exactly what you did. I thought to myself as more fat tears fell down my cheeks. You gave him the hammer to break you.

I hurried into the familiar haven known as my bedroom before I closed the door behind me and slid my back against it just as I heard River enter my house. "Caterina," he called. "Please I just...I just want to talk," he begged. "Please baby girl."

The hatred I had for myself grew when my heart fluttered at him calling me baby girl. I pulled my knees into my chest and rested my forehead on my knees. "Calm down, Cat," I lowly said to myself. "Deep breaths and happy thoughts."

I followed my own directions and took deep breaths, winces escaping my lips as my ribs cried in protest, but I continued none the less until my breathing became steady once more.

Suddenly I heard a loud knock on my door, causing me to jump a bit as it shook against my back. "Cat please open up," River's gentle voice begged from the other side of the door. "I'm sorry I just...look, can we just talk?"

"You're talking to me right now," I said, my voice still a bit shaky and weak from my crying. "You can keep talking to me through this door if you want to talk to me," I bitterly spat, hoping I would get on his nerves and he'd just give up.

"If that's what you want," he said as I heard faint shuffling sounds before I felt pressure build from the opposite side of the door letting me know that River was leaning against it. "Cat, I'm so sorry I've been acting like a prick lately," he started, surprising me. "You have no idea how much it hurt me to do that to you, Cat. To push you away. To make you cry..." He trailed off before he took a deep breath. "I just don't want you getting hurt because of me. I don't want history repeating itself with you, baby girl." Sincerity clung to ever word he spoke and a new feeling rose in my chest. It was something I'd never felt before.

"Cat, please open the door," River whispered and even in his whispering state, I felt compelled to obey to his every command. "I need to say this to your face."

I bit my bottom lip debating whether or not I should. It might be a trick, but at the same time, it might not be. "Please," he pleaded. "Cat, I'm sorry, just...Just please open the door." I sighed as curiosity clouded my judgement and I slowly rose to my feet before I opened the door. River's eyes immediately caught mine before he gently cupped my face and ran his thumb across my cheek. "I'm so sorry," he whispered, the look in his eyes causing my heart to ache.