Chap 23. People I Love

Chap. 23 People I Love

"Wake up, love. We're about to land."

I groaned in response as I cuddled deeper into his chest. "Tell Fred to fly around for another thirty minutes. Wake me up after that." River chuckled before I felt his arms slide under me and lift me up. "Come on babe," he said before he started bombarding me with kisses. I let out loud ugly laughs and my heavy eyes opened.

"Stop!" I lightly chuckled as he set me into my seat, yet his assault on my face wasn't over. He slid my seatbelt over my waist before he placed a quick peck on my lips then got into his seat and strapped himself in. "You know I could've done that myself, right?"

"You know you're really slow, right?" River mimicked, causing me to narrow my eyes at him before the ride got a little bumpy. It was dark outside, so I could only see the silhouette of certain objects, but I could tell we were getting close to the ground and my thoughts were confirmed when the plane jumped a bit after it hit solid ground. We made our way up to the cockpit to thank Fred, but on our way there we saw Mason and Liam soundly asleep on the couch they'd been playing video games on. How they hadn't fallen off when we landed, beat me.

Mason was comfortably engulfed in Liam's massive arms and Liam's head rested in the groove between Mason's neck and shoulder. I couldn't fight the smile that made its way onto my face at the sight and my heart became warm and fuzzy. I'd always secretly shipped Mason and Liam and seeing them like this made me want to melt into a big puddle of mush.

"They're cute together," River commented in a whisper. not wanting to wake them up.

"Definitely," I agreed just as Liam pulled Mason closer and Mason cuddled close to him and I had to restrain myself from "awe"-ing.

"Come on," River whispered as he pulled be back to the part of the plane we'd been in, causing my eyebrows to pull together to show my complete and utter confusion. "Act like you didn't see anything, okay?" he instructed before he cleared his throat and yelled, "Liam! Mason! Come on, we've landed!" Instantly after he said that we heard a low thud followed by uncontrolled laughter.

River sniffled a laugh as we made our way back to where Mason and Liam were and when we got there, I had to clamp my hand over my mouth to prevent my laughter from escaping. Mason was sprawled out of the floor groaning with his arm slung over his eyes while Liam was on the couch, laughing so hard that his cheeks and tips of his ears were turning red. "Shut up," Mason groaned, not making any move to get up. "You did this to me." Liam was about to make a smart response, but as if he remembered that River and I were standing there, he refrained.

"Alright, the fun and games are over," River announced, causing Mason to jerk upright at attention. "We have about an hour and fifteen minutes until our meeting with the Boss is to commence, meaning that we need to hurry up so we don't end up in even more trouble than we are undoubtedly already in."

"Sir, yes sir!" Mason said, giving River a mock salute. I felt a small twinge of sadness in my chest as it reminded me of my father miles and miles away with his soldiers instead of his daughter.

"Come on," River gently said as he draped his arm across my shoulders. Almost as well as I see through him, he sees through me, knowing even when the slightest thing is out of place like a stray hair or eyelash. "Thanks Fred," River thanked for all of us with me offering him a small nod as we exited the plane.

"See you in two days boys and Cat," he called before he was out of earshot. We collected our bags and waded through the parking lot until we found the car that belonged to the set of shiny keys that dangled off of River's hooked index finger. It was a sleek black Jeep Wrangler that comfortably accommodated all of us plus our bags.