Robin {Dick} x Reader

Keys;
Y/N - Your Name
G/B - Girl/Boy

unedited;

You had always liked cemeteries, ever since you were a little kid. They always made you feel so peaceful and calm- feelings that you didn't get to experience often. Even when you were younger you were always the loud, energetic one, and now you found a place to be quiet.

It was early morning, so you were the only one in the cemetery- apart from a gardener that you'd passed on your way through the gates- so as you walked among the gravestones the only sounds that could be heard were the sound of your feet pressing softly against the grass and the wind in the trees that surrounded the outer wall. You folded your arms over your chest as you walked, regretting not bringing a jacket. The early morning made the air fresh, not cool enough to be considered cold but nowhere near warm enough to go without arm and leg coverage.

Slowly you weaved in and out of the rows of graves, savouring the surrounding silence and the slowness of your steps. It was a few minutes before, finally; you drew to a stop in front of one certain grave. you were glad to have found it, not having known exactly where it was in the first place, though not so glad that your purpose in this place would now be fulfilled, meaning you were already half way to leaving.

You knelt down, one hand on the edge of the gravestone gingerly.

"Um...hi," you said, feeling nervous. You suddenly wondered whether this was even a good idea. Was this intruding into something that you weren't meant to be part of? These were Dick's parents, not yours. You hadn't been part of Dick's life back then. Was this going too far? "I don't know if I should be doing this," you admitted aloud, staring at the names carved into the stone. You sighed and settled yourself onto the grass next to the grave.

"I brought you some flowers...if that's okay..." Nervously, you began pulling the blue flowers from inside their bag one by one and pushing them strategically into the flower holder in front of the grave. They were the flowers that you'd once seen Dick buying, except he'd bought them in white rather than blue. Unfortunately the florist you had gone to didn't have any white periwinkles in stock, so you had to buy blue instead.

You swallowed slowly. There was really no reason for you to be getting so worked up over this. It was just a grave. Dick's parent's grave. "I know it's usually Rob that comes to see you today," you said. "But he's on a really important mission and couldn't come...he was really upset, so I thought I'd come instead..." you paused, looking at the grass.

"I know I'm not the same, but...wait- do I have to introduce myself? I mean, I don't know how these things work...you might know who I am, if you've been watching over Dick and stuff, but just in case you haven't- I'm (Y/N)." He smiled a little. "I'm your son's...(G/B) friend. God, that's so much scarier saying that out loud to you. Basically, I love him, and he loves me." You played with your fingers awkwardly. "I hope you're okay with that," you added quickly. Jeez, this was like being found out by Bruce all over again.

You didn't say anything for a few seconds. You just sat and enjoyed the silence. You wondered briefly whether you should just go, but there was so much more you wanted to say to Dick's parents, even though you weren't entirely sure whether they could hear you or not. Maybe you just wanted to say them for Dick's sake, the things that Dick might say to his parents when he came to their grave.

"Dick misses you," you said simply, not knowing where else to start. "He misses you a lot. He never admits it, but I know that he does...I miss you too- wait, no, that doesn't make sense. What I mean is...I wish you were still alive...

You know, whenever he talks about you, he looks so sad- and sometimes when we go to play basketball in the park I'll catch him staring at the playground, and at all the little kids playing with their parents. I wish you were still here with him...and with me and Bruce too, because I think we need Dick just as much as he needs you."