4

It was Friday the 13th, which meant the day was going to suck by default.

And it did. Especially since it meant that it had been over a week since Miren went missing. Or rather, since Miles went to "visit his fam bam in Toronto".

Of course, most of the school was rather unaffected by his departure. He was a new student after all, and that fact wasn't hard to forget. Well, for most people. But most people didn't include Levi.

Miles' desk was right in front of his in AP US History. And although they were fortunate enough to not have some assignment from hell handed to them by the devil teacher herself, it was only a matter of time. When Ms. Cowdry entered the room, the atmosphere instantly became dismal, if not borderline hostile. She frowned as she moved to the Promethean board.

"Mr. Ellison still hasn't returned?" she sounded more compassionate than she usually did, which took the students by surprise. As they blinked at her like she was an enchanted unicorn or something, she rolled her eyes. "Are you going to keep staring at me or enlighten me? I'm not above offering a timed essay." There was a collective groan as Levi lifted his hand.

"I actually spoke to Dr. Edsel and he said that that Miles' grandfather's funeral was pushed back a few days," Levi said. Though he had little faith that this was the truth. "He should be back Monday."

"That's good to hear." She began writing on the board, and that was that. Levi's eyebrow lifted slightly. He knew Miles was one of her best students, but so was he. And when he had to miss a week for his debate finals last semester, she barely acknowledged his departure or return. His eyes widened. Was Ms. Cowdry somehow involved in this conspiracy?

Before he could do anything with the realisation, Cowdry started playing an educational video. In celebration of Black History Month, she started discussing the Black Panther Movement and the report that would go along with it. As his mind wandered off to consider this whole debacle, he heard Parker yawn. His eyes narrowed on his friend. Naturally, Parker had something to do with this, right? He was there when Penelope kissed Miles. He was also friends with him. And although this connection seemed as directionless as the rest of his in conclusions, it was still worth pursuing.

The hour dragged on like dripping molasses, with Ms. Cowdry assigning a ten-paged-report like he had expected. Yay.

"Where's Miles when you need him?" Parker offered with a cheeky grin as the students began to clear the room. "Who knew he was the recipe to Cowdry's lack of student sympathy?"

"Your guess is probably as good as mine." Levi pulled his backpack over his shoulder. "Have you been in contact with him? I know he's probably occupied with the funeral and all, but I need to give him some time-sensative details about Student Administration and the Pre-Med Society."

"Nope," Parker admitted as they began to exit the classroom. "But like you said, he probably needs some time to process the news. I know I was a wreck when my grandfather died."

"I don't know...do you get the sense that something doesn't entirely add up?" Levi carefully said over the small crowd of their peers. "I mean, I saw what happened between you, Penelope, and him. Are you still even with her? Are you sure you didn't have Miles 'sent away' for making out with her?'" he said with air quotes. Parker scoffed.

"You're almost as bad as Olive," was his reply as they crossed the hallway. "And I don't like talking about my relationships."

"Try relationshits," Levi humored. But Parker didn't look particularly amused. "And if you don't come clean, I'll just pry. And you know I succeed at everything I put my mind to."