53

"Thank you for helping me re-dye my hair," Penelope told Chara as she brushed a hand through her medium blonde curls, her natural hue.

The sophomore offered her a cheeky grin as they rode the city bus back to St. Rosemunde. The two had spent the weekend at the sophomore's home. Thankfully, Dr. Tachibana had spent much of it on-call, so they had the space to themselves. It was an uneventful weekend, but a welcomed distraction from the hell hole that was high school.

"I don't know why you dyed it in the first place," Chara admired, tucking a loose strand behind her friend's ear. "You look so much prettier like this."

"I think my mom didn't want me to look like a typical white girl," Penelope offered with air quotations. "Apparently it would give me even more incentive to be a spoiled brat."

"Jesus." Chara shook her head. "And I thought my mom could be a dragon."

"My mom lived in poverty in Colombia most of her life -- lost three of her siblings to circumstances most people could never imagine." Penelope took a deep breath. "She really had to hustle just to be half of what she is, and when she thinks that my feeling about school or friends or being--" She bit her lip, her blue eyes clouding like the sky above. Chara patted her shoulder.

"You don't have to say it."

"She's just so religious. She almost killed me for having sex with Parker." She cursed, suppressing her tears. "Imagine what she'll do when she finds out that I'm a lesbian? We go to Catholic school for Christ's sake."

"If it makes you feel any better, I'm not a virgin either," Chara offered, her eyes briefly landing on the window, the familiar blur of Gloveria. When they touched Penelope's, it took everything not to roll them. "Don't look so surprised."

"The idea of you and Wallace getting it on is insane." A shadow of a smile graced Penelope's glossy lips before she narrowed her eyes mockingly, suspiciously. "It was with him. Right?"

Chara's attention refocused on the window.

"I wish."

***

Miren wished that today was over. And it was barely dawn.

She didn't bother looking at Jeno as she rose to her feet (after carefully peeling herself from his arms), and headed to the restroom. As she brushed her teeth rather vigorously, she replayed the day's objective in her head like it was a bad Taylor Swift song.

Meet with Dr. Edsel during lunch.

Tell him I'm Miren.

Have Edsel talk to Dr. Castro about letting me go back to St. Rosemunde.

Play it all as one big social experiment that garners sympathy and (hopefully) leniency.

Let Jemma jeer at Jeno when she tells him she's in on everything.

Date Jeno.

Live happily (and college educatedly) ever after.

She rinsed her mouth, closing her eyes briefly to gargle some water. The whole act took less than three seconds, but that didn't stop her from seeing him inside her eyelids. She rinsed again before cursing at the ceiling.

"Good morning to you too." Before Miren could reply, she felt Jeno's lips on the back of her neck. As he continued his sensual torture, she secured her hands on the counter, closing her eyes as he embraced her from behind.

"I liked you better when you weren't so affectionate," she said, as he kissed the sensitive patch of skin underneath her ear. She sighed deeply, before biting her lip. "I have to get ready."