38

Because life was constantly one-upping itself, Miren found herself being dragged to lunch by Parker the second she made it outside.

"I told you I didn't want to come back to school today," she mumbled. "Edsel said I could take today off, you asshole." Parker merely rolled his eyes like an annoyed parent.

"He said you could take half  of the day off. Hence why I had the honor of dragging you to orchestra." Despite carrying two full backpacks, Parker appeared unfazed. "Of course, if you would just tell me what happened I'd get off your ass."

"I can't force you to do anything." Miren decided, shrugging even though her shoulders were stiff and ridged with anger. "But you're wasting your time."

"Believe it or not, but you're my only friend right now," the taller (real) boy replied, brushing a hand through his dark brown curls. She gritted her teeth, forcing herself to look away from him. He was handsome—big whoop. But feeling any type of way about him would be idiotic. And her one redeeming quality was being smart. At least, academically. "I mean, I guess Wallace is too. But brothers don't count."

"Good to know."

"Besides, Olive wanted to brainstorm some new ideas at lunch. Seemed like it might take your mind off things." Miren's eyes widened as she realized she was already on St. Rosemunde soil. She clenched her fist. Damn Parker and his distracting charm! But at the current moment, he was hardly charming; he was overbearing and oblivious and now he was leading her toward her doom!

"As much fun as that sounds, I'm just going to limp back to Rinzen." Miren turned around, started for the greenery. "I'll think of something to help at the dorm." She almost groaned when he started dragging her back to hell—sorry, St. Rosemunde.

"It'll be good for you."

"It'll kill me," she fought the urge to retort. Unfortunately, he was a star-athlete, so she was in the mess hall before she could make a plan to escape.

Strangely enough, the space was more silent that she had remembered. Sure, they had moments of silence every so often when a nun passed, but this was even harsher than death.

Miren looked out into the crowd of girls that looked like the cross of Jesus came back to life. She and Parker exchanged looks just as Chara rose to one of the tables. Somehow the nuns didn't stop her. Maybe being a cute, innocent underclassman was a superpower.

"Prom is canceled," she spoke, pointing at Olive. "And I think we know who is responsible ."

A million voices filled the air like a sirens. The new girl blinked at Chara.

"Me? If anyone is at fault, it would be Queen Elizabeth II over there," Olive said, nudging at the direction of Penelope's table, where Chara had just emerged. Naturally, Jemma was watching with tickled enjoyment, as if this was a movie or something.

"Can we all stop pretending that Penelope is the enemy here?" Chara said, folding her arm. "For months she's been the victim of several defamatory acts. Put yourself in her shoes. I'm pretty sure most of you would have transferred after experiencing just half of what she went through—I know I would have." There were some mumbles of consideration in the air. But Miren was borderline livid. Scratch that, she was beyond livid—she was living to be livid.

"What the hell is she doing?" she said through gritted teeth. Parker looked just as skeptical, but not particularly concerned.

"Being too nice for her own good." He shook his head. "God, I hope Penelope isn't playing her."