48 | Santa Monica and Other Things That Start with 'S' Pt. 2

It probably didn't really matter that Rinzen won for the third consecutive year. But what did matter was that Jeno was crowned the coveted Musician to Watch Award. And as newfound royalty, he had to address his subjects.

And subjects included beautiful girls and recruiters. Time dribbled away like water from a leaky faucet, and before anyone knew it, early afternoon had blurred into evening, and the evening blurred into its darkest (perhaps most hopeless) variety.

A thud on the table Miren was sitting at woke her up. She bolted upright, her tired eyes scanning for the source of the intrusion. When they landed on Axel (and his fist against the table) she couldn't help but be unsurprised.

"Banquet ended hours ago, buddy," he informed her. She looked around, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes.

"Then what the hell are you doing here?" Her eyes briefly hit her watch. It was just after eleven.

"I had enough sense to leave the reception after we won. I was hoping to sneak back to the dorms but saw you here through the window." He pointed to the wide, glass wall overlooking the campus greenery. "So I told Cliff to head back to make sure the coast is clear for us."

"Where's Jeno?" She felt stupid asking that question. Especially when Axel's brown eyebrows lifted.

"Hell if I know." Miren closed her eyes in contemplation. Last she remembered, he was being schmoozed by more recruits with Mr. Gales beaming next to him, like a master taking pride in his prodigy. Still, it wasn't like Jeno to get swept up in theatrics, let alone to leave her here without saying anything - 

Jeno: Where are you? I just got to the dorm.

She blinked at the message on her phone, before realizing there were three more before it. He had told her that he would be a while and that she should head back to the residence hall. That they'd do something fun tomorrow. Promise.

Rising to her feet, she nodded at Axel. "Thanks for getting me."

"No problem."

The campus was bathed in a dark emptiness, but it was easy to sense that there was life beyond it, in the real streets of LA. Not this silent, scholastic bubble. They walked in silence as they approached the athletic center, the soccer field. The whole scene was actually somewhat bearable. Until Axel opened his mouth.

"You don't have to come with us tomorrow," the boy said, scratching his head. "It was rude to try to drag you along. It's your vacation too, bro.

"It doesn't feel like much of one," Miren said honestly. "Not with how messed up everything is back at school. I thought I could escape it. But instead-"

"You feel more guilty?" Axel guessed. Miren blinked at him before nodding slowly. "What do you feel guilty about?"

"Other than everything?" she fought the urge to say. "Parker getting expelled."

"You never did tell me why you tried to take the heat for everything." Axel's eyes were relatively earnest, but his constant concern about her--Miles--was still unsettling.

"And why would I tell you anything?" she said calmly, her attention focusing on the Bruin statue before them. If only the bear was real... Maybe it would kill her and she'd be done with this conversation. "Especially if I was involved."

"Oh, it's pretty obvious that you were involved,' Axel informed hr. "The real question is why would the new kid stain his hands with blood? For what, to get on the good side with the populars? Only to go against them Revenge of the Nerds style?"