61

"It's nice to see Jeno hasn't scared you away," Rory Rutherford said, as he approached Miren and his son. They were in the mess hall, which was decorated to the nines with what one would expect for Rinzen's 75th Anniversary. And if this was all for the first alumni event of the weekend, it was hard to imagine how they would top it. The older man grinned, his smile as golden as the streamers lining the windows. "It's good to see you again, Mr. Ellison."

"The pleasure is all mine." Miren smiled, her eyes briefly landing on Dr. Edsel and Miss Cowdry on the other side of the room. Her eyes met the history teacher before she shook Rory's hand. "How has life been treating you?"

"Oh you don't want me to bore you about a retired lawyer's life." He chuckled. "Besides, you two handsome studs should be using your night off to have fun." He handed his son a fifty dollar bill. "Go. I have some old pals I want to talk to. And I'd rather not have my son overhear how much of a menace I was in high school." He patted Jeno's shoulder before entering the company of his friends that looked more like polished actors.

"Handsome stud?" Miren frowned, sighing dramatically. "Maybe this has gone on for too long."

"Perception is only a reflection of the truth." But Jeno's eyes were laughing at her. She elbowed him in the ribs. "Let's get out of here. We can take Roger's car."

"Actually, I'm forgetting that I'm technically suspended. I shouldn't be here. And we should lay low." She bit her lip, as her attention focused on the live jazz band. See, this event really was swanky. "At least until the assailants are apprehended."

"You're right."

"I actually have something I need to do." Her gaze landed on his eyes which were slightly suspicious but desperate to trust her. She wanted to pinch his hands, kiss his lips—something to soften his sharp instinct. But they were in the middle of a room with at least three generations of Rinzen alumni. And this wasn't even the official anniversary ceremony. "Stay. Have fun with your family."

"Alright." He sighed, his amber eyes calming. "We'll talk later."

"Talk later."

***

Miren's thoughts were destructive by nature. So it was hard to tell whether texting Jemma would only add to her mental turmoil or relieve it. The senior had been doing her best to get to the bottom of the assault, but it was hard to feel like any good would come from finding out the culprit. Not when--

A jolt of pain hit Miren before she could make sense of what was in front of her--or rather, below her. Texting while walking in deep thought through the greenery at night was apparently dangerous. With a sigh, Miren extended an arm to the fallen girl.

Artemis.

"Are you okay?" Miren found herself asking. Though it was hard to feign concern. Here she was, right in front of the wild card -- the girl who could undo everything. And for what reason? Revenge? Guilt?

"To be honest, I don't know anymore." Artemis' eyes latched onto hers. "I was trying to investigate the incident in the woods with Levi, but all of a sudden he doesn't seem interested anymore. Makes me wonder if the people responsible have gotten to him."

Miren fought the urge to flinch. Try Wallace got to him. "And who do you think is responsible for it?"

"Levi told me that you were the one in the video, you know," Artemis said instead. "Actually, the video was sent to me anonymously, only for it to be released anyway. So if you want to be helpful, you'll stop beating around the bush. Face it, things started getting weird around the time you came here. And I don't think it's a coincidence."