20

Author's Note: This is a reminder to please be respectful to my (and any author's) time. I really didn't appreciate some of your comments about how the story is dragging on. I know you all are entitled to your opinion, but I also posted an update (on The Class Reject: A Damsel in Disguise) about my intentions. Ultimately, if you have any suggestions or constructive feedback for the story please vocalize them. But if you're just going to whine in the comments about how it's taking too long for me to update a story you read for free and at your leisure than it's not welcome. 

Anyway, I expect to have an update every Friday unless I have a big exam that week. Note that these chapters are not as polished as I'd like, but there's only so much time in a day. To those of you that have been supportive - thank you. To those of you who are legitimately concerned with the direction of the story, please let me know. 

Now let's get on with the story. 

Chapter 20 

The hospital was a labyrinth.

But fortunately for Miren and Chara, most of the healthcare officials seemed to care less about random high school students roaming the halls. After about ten minutes, they found a legend in what appeared to be in the middle of the main waiting/visiting area for people waiting for loved ones in the surgical ward.

Miren's eyes scanned the thing briefly, before starting for the elevator. "Security and Administration is on the ground floor." Chara nodded before following.

Once they were in, Miren could feel her heart plunge like the elevator. Her mind surged as well, trying to think of a plan—any plan. Wallace had supplied her with a blank access card that should grant entrance into the command room, and the computers were supposed to be user-friendly, which meant that a weebo with limited coding experience should be able to figure it out in less than twenty minutes with the passcode breaking flash drive he'd given her, or hope that whatever oaf that was. Then go to the date—October 29th–and delete and loop the footage. Finally, delay the footage from today to remove evidence of ever being in the command room. She closed her eyes.

It was simple. Risky as hell, but simple.

"You could clue me in you know." Chara then said. Miren could sense her tapping her foot impatiently, but she had more pressing matters to deal with it. In some weird turn of events, Wallace was now a better friend to her than Chara. And if he didn't trust her enough to push past their differences to clue her in, then why should she?

She shook her head. "It's complicated. I'll explain later." Maybe. "I just need you to be a look out." Please don't fuck it up.

Chara's mouth parted to respond (probably object) until the lips of the door opened. A swirl of panic and dread began to coarse through Miren's veins. They hadn't reached their floor yet. And knowing life, it wouldn't be some random nurse or something.

When Artemis came into view, it took everything not to curse. She blinked at her audience.

"Miles? Chara? Shouldn't you be in the cafeteria?" she didn't look particularly concerned or suspicious, but that hardly helped Miren's nerves. Especially when she clicked the button for the same floor!

"I...uh...Chara and I needed to talk. We were fighting in the caf wanted to go outside to briefly clear the air." Miren turned to Chara to refrain from shaking. "Last thing a hospital needs is more negative energy."

Artemis nodded, folding her arms. "I have to get some medical supplies from one of the pediatric nurses downstairs. Apparently the kids are more interested in playing with stethoscopes than cake walks." She shrugged. "I never thought they'd think a party would be more boring than learning how IVs work. Don't take too long though. Pretty much everyone else is useless."