25

After listening to a clinical psychologist and renowned sex-therapist (don't worry, she didn't mention the second part before she got the gig) go on about how adolescent hormones make people as horny as they were insane, the Rosemunde girls were no longer allowed to eat bananas at lunch.

"This whole week is stupid," Penelope said, stabbing a piece of lettuce. With her free hand, she napped her fingers and Chara rushed to her side with a stack of completed homework. "I can't believe Olive gets to show her dumb video."

"I can't believe it either," Olive eavesdropped, winking at her with a tray in hand. "But then Jeno saved it. I suppose he's the only guy who isn't scared of you." She walked away, and it was as if a mic had dropped.

"What?" Penelope rose to her feet. "Why the hell would he do that?"

"Because he's a good person," Theodora found herself saying. It was a suicidal move, but she wasn't nearly as scared as she should have been. She shrugged, but it was mostly to hide her shaking. "And it's not like you two are dating or anything. You wouldn't want to ruin your reputation by cheating on Parker."

Glared at her, and Penelope did her best not to flinch. The double standard was as annoying as Theodora was being. Of course Parker could make kissy-faces at Olive or Artemis without it hurting his reputation. Meanwhile, Parker was still heckling her about smooching Miles. She was popular—more popular than she had ever been. But popularity was a fickle friend that she couldn't afford to loose.

"Of course we're not dating," Penelope dismissed, her eyes temporarily landing on Jemma. "Unlike you, I don't date my best friends' brothers." And just like that, Theodora's bout of confidence died out.

"Because being partially responsible for a girl dying is so much better?" Jemma rolled her eyes. "Anyway, if you fight Olive's video, you'll just look more guilty."

"That's true," Chara said before she realized it. She closed her eyes in a squint, waiting for Penelope to rain hell on her.

"I heard you and Miles are now a thing," the wicked witch sneered, before tossing her practically untouched salad container at the girl. The leafy contents spilled on Chara's lap. "Get rid of this for me. I've lost my appetite."

"What? Mad that Miles moved on with someone else?" Jemma jeered.

"I'm mad that they decided to keep it a secret from me." The intensity of her icy glare gave Chara the chills. Even though she was steaming. Didn't it get tiring being such a bitch all the time all? "We all know how destructive secrets can be."

"I think it's good for Cha-chan," Jemma decided, nonchalantly playing with some grapes in her hands. "She lost Miren and Wallace isn't nearly as nice as Miles. He's getting pretty popular pretty quickly, isn't he? It's almost like he replaced her."

To Jemma's dismay (And surprise toward Chara—didn't the sophomore know that Miles was Miren? Or was her poker-face really that on point?), no one picked up on her not-so-subtle cue.

At least, no one at the table.

***

Because Wallace was off to bigger and better things, tech lab was canceled in slew for study hall. This wouldn't have ben a bad thing, but Dr. Zheng—one of the physics teachers and an advisor for the multi-cultural club—felt that the time was better suited for long lectures about his global endeavors.

He had started going on about the Galapagos when she asked to go the restroom.

"No problem," the older man told her as he handed her a pass. "But get back soon, you have to hear about the time I was a research fellow at Oxford."

Miren smiled as she took the paper. Glad to see that genuine optimism toward life wasn't a myth. But as soon as she reached the hallway, her frown returned at full force. It was Thursday—the day before the documentary, the day before everyone would calm down and get off her back. Yet, she felt no ease or even concern.

Why do I feel like nothing? Out of respect for Jeno (and herself), she had returned to their dorms but now kept to her own bed. Last thing she needed were the feelings she had killed to rise up with vengeance. No, she wasn't vulnerable anymore.

Well, not that vulnerable.

When she heard laughing from the multi-media room, she considered this to be a sign. That is, until she realized it was from a girl.

School isn't over yet, Miren considered as her curiosity got the better of her and she peeked through the sliver of glass of the door. The room was dim, but she could make out Olive and Jeno. Her eyebrow rose as she pressed her ear against it, straining her ears to hear.

"I really appreciate you talking to Ms. Cowdry," Olive said, turning away from her keyboard, patting Jeno's shoulder. "Thank you. You really didn't have to do that."

"And let all your work die in vain?" Jeno shook his head. "I found an angle and worked it. I did nothing more."

"I'm just trying to understand why you're much more mature than most lads your age," she said, her British accent strong and toying. "I don't usually date my fellow peers—actually I don't date at all—but you're providing to be a conflict of interest." Her eyes lidded as she examined his face closely. But his stoic, unwavering expression just confirmed her words. "How goes it with Sara?"

At that, however, he couldn't help but hiss slightly. "Like I told you, we're not an item."

"If you say so."

"If you're done with what you want to show me, then I'll be heading out." He rose to his feet. "Good luck tomorrow."

"Are you having a laugh?" Olive said, pouting at him. "I didn't mean to offend you. Having a sense of humour isn't such a bad thing."

"I'll laugh when the joke is amusing," he said firmly. But a microscopic smile graced his lips. He was so close to the door that Miren had to duck away.

"Are you trying to say that I don't amuse you?" Olive was to her feet now; actually she was right in front of him. Jeno sucked in a small breath. She was coming onto him. Every part of him wanted to reject her advancements, but it was only because he had been rejected. Her fingers tugged slightly at his tie as her body pressed against his. He could feel her hot breath trickle against his ear as she smiled seductively. "That I don't arouse you?"

Who knew that the target of his arousal was on the other side of the door?

So he just stared at Olive the same way Miren was staring at them. Her feet wanted to move, she wanted desperately to JUST MOVE, but it was like watching the world's most beautiful train wreck. She shouldn't have had any qualms about their union or how they chose to consummate it. But she was confused. And life was complicated.

"Olive." His voice was cautious, if not warning. But she was an attractive girl—a sane girl. And if he rejected her, she'd do the same to him. At least to some unhelpful capacity. And he wanted—needed—to know what else she was up to.

Before anyone could blink, her lips crashed against his and they were lip locking passionately. The bell rang overhead, and just like that, whatever spell that prevented Miren from moving broke. A hundred voices from the other students filled the hallway as she moved slowly, like she backing away from a pressure-sensitive bomb. But it was a bomb.

It was just a matter of time until the explosion killed her.