56

The next few days were non-stop torture. Whispers filled the air like smoke; it was suffocating, to say the least. And as much as Miren hated all of this, she knew her absence would only provoke suspicion to her.

Not to mention, Parker was supposed to return to school on Monday.

Oh happy joy?

"Jeno isn't in class again?" Miren found herself asking Mr. Gales (mostly to distract herself from her thoughts). The man merely shrugged.

"He had another meeting with a music director. Yale this time." His eyes lit up in pride. Miren frowned. It was hard to tell if Jeno had made that up as a cover, or if it were actually true. Either way, she hadn't seen him in days. Wallace had relayed a message from him that she was to keep her mouth shut while Dr. Edsel did image control. And although that technically made sense, why was she in class when Jeno wasn't?

She gave the conductor a small smile of support before taking a seat on the stage. Her eyes flickered toward Axel, who appeared to be readjusting one of the strings of his bass. His eyes met hers almost instantly. His mouth forming words even quicker.

"I'm sorry."

***

"We have to get answers," Miren found herself telling Jemma. Being on St. Rosemunde's campus would always be nauseating, but it was hard to care. "Also, where's Jeno?"

"I assume with the head music director at Yale," Jemma said as they walked the barren hallway of the main office. It was lunchtime, and they were the only ones foolish enough there. It was French Pizza Friday. "Although, Roger's been keeping a close eye on him. I think he thinks that Jeno knows something."

"Of course," Miren sighed. "Well, we know Axel and Cliff played a role. How about we persuade them to tell the truth?"

Jemma raised an eyebrow. "And how do you propose we do that?"

"Because I'm a masochist, I've managed to become the singer for their band." Miren paused. "That is, if Axel isn't pissed Sara's been MIA for weeks."

"You have another alter-ego?" Jemma's eyes widened "All this time I thought you were playing with fire. Turns out you're this close to detonating an atomic bomb."

"Not if you're there with me," Miren decided with a shrug, half wondering how she could shrug at anything right now. "I'll let you know when we have practice."

"You're insane."

"I know," Miren said, pushing the front door open. The March air was chill and unforgiving--just like life. "Let me know how Jeno is when you get the chance. The VP still has my phone. I mean, I'm lucky Wallace deactivated it, but--"

"I should have known the boy genius was in on this too," Jemma hissed. "Fine, I'll tag along for your band session. But you need to spill. Everything. Including how you really feel about him."

"Fine." Miren offered rather passively. Nevermind the fact her brain was on fire. "If you find proof that Olive played a part in the video release then you have yourself a deal."

"Sounds like a plan." The senior smirked before starting for the cafeteria. Miren felt another shiver roll down her spine. And it wasn't the weather. St. Rosemunde would always haunt her.

Which was precisely why she was never setting foot on this campus again.

***

"I need to get off campus." Miren said as she paced Wallace's room. It was a Friday night, for Pete's sake. Why was she forced to be prisoner when she was the victim?