37

Author's Note: Sorry for the delay. I'll put up another chapter later today, but keep submitting questions for the Q&A which should be up sometime tomorrow. In the Q&A I'll discuss the conclusion of this first part and some (non-spoiler) ideas I have for the future. Thanks again!

The sight of Jeno almost smiling was probably more unnatural than everything that had happened this year. Sure, it wasn't unprovoked (Olive had just sent him an amusing text moments earlier), but the response was still shocking. Even Mr. Gales, their eccentric orchestra director  gave him a weird look.

"That better not turn into a smile before you enter the theater," he practically reprimanded him as the boy stepped inside the room. "You'll scare the other students."

Jeno rolled his eyes, his expression returning to its usual somber stoic-ness.

"Much better."

"You may not be grinning anymore, but I can see it in your eyes," Levi then said, shivering mockingly. He closed the door to the theater before Jeno could step inside. "Word on the street is that you and Olive are a thing." His light brown eyes lit up. "Funny, I thought you were dating Miles. Then again, you were apparently sleeping with Miren." He chuckled. "Who knew you liked chocolate so much?"

"Good morning to you too," Jeno replied, trying his best not to punch the other boy. But it was hard—Levi was toying with him. He knew something.

Or everything.

"Don't change the subject."

"Why don't you just summon the balls to say whatever you want to say so we both won't be late for class?"

Instead of accepting his challenge, Levi just stared at him, tried to see if Jeno knew what he was talking about. But he barely knew what he was talking about! The only thing the documentary had shown him was that just about everyone was guilty to some degree. He had the sense that Jemma knew everything but she stopped replying to his texts weeks ago.

"I just want to know what's really going on here," Levi then said. The annoyance in Jeno's eyes didn't shift. "I think there's something off about that Olive chick. So be careful."

"And why do you say that?" The only thing that was off about Olive was her sense of compassion for others. Unlike the other Roz girls, she was mature—honest about her intentions. Miren was the former, but she wasn't the latter. So he wasn't going to think about her right now.

Of course, he didn't get the choice when he saw her materialize into view with Parker.

"Speak of the devil," Parker then said, handing Miren her backpack. "If you need anything, just text me." He glared at Jeno before vacating the premises. 

"Okay." She didn't even bother looking at Jeno as she stepped (ok, limped) inside the orchestra room. Jeno just blinked at her in confusion. Naturally, Levi was grinning.

"Apparently something happened to Miles." Levi shrugged. "He gave me the details. I could share, but you should already know, right? You're his BFF."

His brain was too busy exploding for him to process a word Levi said. Instead, his feet found movement and he stormed into the hall. Mr. Gales was discussing the upcoming Spring Festival at the front of the stage, but he couldn't hear him either. He stopped at Miren's chair, were she was  innocently unzipping her viola case. He probably looked like the worlds biggest weirdo just staring at her—him, and she did her best to ignore him as she stared at her music stand. But the footcast, the bruising—she couldn't hide it.