62

"Remind me why I'm going to dinner with your parents?" Miren sighed as she and Wallace rode an uber to the fanciest hotel in the city. Naturally, Jeno, in all of his Student Assembly President glory, was busy hosting events for Rinzen's anniversary celebrations, so that meant she was off the tell-him-the-truth hook until the festivities concluded.

"Since Parker's at a meeting at UConn, I didn't want to spend dinner with the 'rents alone. I have another TV interview, and then they'll be off my case."

"And how do you think my attendance will help your case?"

"They won't be nearly as vicious in your presence," Wallace paused as they exited the vehicle. "Or they could be worse. You never know."

"Great." Miren shut the door. And just like that, they were inside heaven--The Hartford Intercontinental Hotel. Miren obviously couldn't afford to breathe the air inside here, and even though she was dressed in her suited uniform, she still felt like trailer trash. "I'm leaving--"

"Too late, they see us." Wallace started waving at a table in the middle of the dimly lit room, where a man and woman were seated. Miren gulped; she had never seen Wallace and Parker's parents before. And to say they were striking, stunning, would have been an understatement.

"You should have told me your parents were models." Miren rolled her eyes. Or rather, she should have known. Mrs. Harisson was a woman who was probably in her late 40's but naturally didn't look a day over 25, what with her radiant dark skin and modelesque cheekbones. Mr. Harisson, although incredibly good looking himself, had clearly lucked out. He was Brad Pitt; she was Naomi Campbell.

And Miren was screwed.

"Miles, is it?" Mrs. Harrison said, her light Ghanaian accent like a sweet song in the air as Miren nodded. "Wallace speaks very highly of you--so does Parker, now that I think about it. I was worried that they'd be white washed at Rinzen."

"Said the African woman happily married to a Swiss man," Mr. Harisson replied rather playfully before offering a hand to the girl in drag. Miren shook it before she could think about hesitating. "Nice to meet you, Miles. Please take a seat."

Fighting the sensation of her impending doom, she took a seat upon Wallace's lead. The parentals engaged their son in light conversation before turning toward Miren. Shit.

"Do you know anything about the attack?" Mrs. Harisson then offered, frowning. "It still appalls me—what happened to my son. I can't believe he didn't come to us sooner."

"That's because I was embarrassed," Wallace sighed. "I know the video looks horrible but I wasn't injured that bad. But now that it's out I want to know who is responsible. Who's to say that they aren't the same people responsible for getting Parker expelled?"

"If Parker had just appeased Penelope instead of falling in love with some hostile scholarship student he wouldn't have gotten expelled," Mr. Harisson rubbed his temple, his eyes touching Miren's briefly. "I'm sorry. This is Wallace's birthday dinner and I'm speaking ill of the dead."

Miren could only offer him a pained smile. She didn't know what was worse—forgetting to celebrate Wallace's birthday or being the foil to what was basically an arranged marriage.

"I bet they were having sex." It was Mrs. Harisson's turn to sigh. "I thought we raised him better. Or maybe it's the girl—I heard she came from a broken home."

"To Parker's defense, Miren was a beautiful girl," Wallace offered with a small mocking smirk. "She was also at the top of her class."

"I don't care." His mother cursed in Twi. "Parker's letting what happened to her ruin his life too. She didn't have to run away—she could have faced the consequences for attacking poor Penelope." She took a sip from her wine. "I mean we all know Penelope can be a handful, but you never run away from your problems—they always follow you."