57

*AUTHOR'S NOTE - PLEASE READ THIS FIRST *

Hey! So some of you have expressed that you feel a bit confused with where we are at in the story. Although I encourage you to reread a few chaps (starting from around chapter 27 or so of the third book), hopefully this should help refresh your memory in case you don't have that much time (like me!). I hope you enjoy this chapter - should have a new one up by next Saturday and will generally try to update weekly on Saturdays. I'll also put this video on the disclaimer chapter a couple chapters before this one. Thanks again!

*RESUME READING BELOW*

Chapter 57

"Where are we going?"

"Roger's in an emergency meeting with Rinzen's finest lawyers and the school board," Jeno told Miren as he drove. "So he'll be preoccupied for a while."

"When it rains it pours." She folded her arms before turning toward him. "Where have you been, anyway?"

"Being held captive," he said almost passively as he stopped at a light. "I may have confessed to being responsible for the video."

"You did what?"

"Now that Roger thinks I'm a part of this madness, he's put me under strict surveillance by the vice principal. Would have snuck out his window but someone apparently beat me to it." His eyes briefly touched Miren's. "But it will blow over. What happened during your meeting?"

"After Dr. Edsel yelled at me for blackmailing him to undo Parker's expulsion, which Wallace was actually responsible for, someone called him about the video and he promptly sent me to the academic dungeon that is the vice-principal's office."

Jeno rubbed his temple. "That doesn't explain how or why the video got out. But sorry that that happened."

"I'm just over everything, Jeno." Miren slouched against the cool leather. "There is no easy way out of this."

"That seems to be the only thing that's certain," Jeno signed. "Anyway, we're here."

Miren blinked, not realizing where they had been going. But as she peered through the windshield, the site was clear as day.

They were at their old middle school, Augustus Academy. Unlike either of their high schools, the establishment was built in the current century. Large windows and ash brick with intricate but modern etched into the walls made the space seem personable, even the iron gates seemed to beckon them into the space.

However, Miren's mouth parted in confusion. "What are we doing here?"

"It was the only place I could think of where no one else would be. Plus it's right next to--"

"PJ's Ice Cream Parlor." She smiled lightly. "Simpler times."

"I figured we'd get ice cream and take a stroll down memory lane," he offered, nudging toward the park that was adjacent to the academic center. "Even if I hate this place."

Miren blinked at him before the idea clicked. "Oh right, you were bullied by Parker." She shut her door behind her, her lip jerking into a slight smirk. "Tough life."

"Screw you."

"I know you want me too," she blew him a kiss before starting for the creamery. Although she was dressed in casual male clothing, there was something uniquely feminine about the gesture. She was a woman; her beauty radiated now more than ever, despite the circumstance. And maybe it was because it had been three whole days since he had seen her, but his heart swelled  as he followed.