75 | That

The hard part of the heist - or rather, evidence planting - was over. Olive was already on the main floor and halfway down a hallway that made the Buckingham Palace look like a motel when she ran into Levi, who was just exiting the bathroom.

"Everything is automated in there," he told the fellow supersleuth, a sly smile spreading across his lips. "I didn't even have to wipe my ass."

"I wish I could say it's nice to see you, but it isn't." She resumed her pace. "Have a good evening."

"What's the rush?" he said, meeting her side. "Because it looks like you're coming from the residential quarters of the mansion - and we were specifically instructed not to go further than the courtyard." He pointed to the wall of glass that contained a large, but enclosed outdoor area. Speakers lined the space and some students could be seen taking photos by an elaborate display spelling out the word "PROM". Next to it was a dessert station, complete with a triple-tiered cake the size of a small car.

"Love your outfit by the way," he also pointed out. "I didn't know you were catering. Was it the only way you could come to prom after being suspended? How would Dr. Castro feel if I told her how great of a job you're doing--"

"If you want to get me expelled, have at it," she then replied, rather dejectedly. "I'm sure you'd absolutely love to see that happen."

"On the contrary," Levi said, "Besides, prom or not, I don't think you can technically get into trouble going over someone's house after hours. And last I checked, Soren has no real reason to dislike you."

"So what are you suggesting? That I hang out with you or something?" Olive shook her head. "Thanks but no thanks."

"Like I once told Artemis, I'm not here to support or discourage any agenda." He started for the courtyard. "I'll pretend I never saw you."

"Wait," Olive said. "I'm a bit parched. Care to join me for a drink?"

Levi's brown eyes lit up before he rolled them mockingly. "You know, you could just admit you're thirsty for me."

It was Olive's turn to roll her eyes. "You're an arsehole, you know that?"

***

BANG! was in the middle of their final song when the dance hall flooded with students. Miren welcomed the challenge however, and could feel her excitement and vocals strengthen as she delivered the final verses:

Don't forget me

Don't regret me

Today

Today

Don't resent me

Don't torment me

Just stay

Just stay

Whatever this is, it's killing me

And I don't want to live like this

Falling in reverse

Breaking true love's curse

So shoot me through the heart

And move the fuck on without me!

There was an outro with drums and synthesizer, and then the audience erupted in applause. Miren's heart swelled as she caught her breath.

"Give it up for BANG!" Dr. Castro then said, coming up to centerstage, clapping lacklusterly. "Wonderful performance, even though I know nuns and I did not appreciate the language at the end."