49 | Malibu

Miren wasn't the prom type, obviously. But something about the idea of Jeno going (let alone humoring the idea of going) with Olive made her brain angry in ways she couldn't quite describe.

And when he blew her off (ok, he was technically just being pimped out again by Mr. Gales to help judge the junior high division of the competition today), it just put everything in perspective. She was as much as his priority as she wasn't. Which would technically be fine, except that Olive seemed to garner more of his attention in her pinky finger than Miren's entire body.

"I'm not jealous," she mumbled to herself as she walked toward the medical campus. While most of the students were chaperoned to Santa Monica Pier or some other tourist-y distractions, Miren had opted for a day on her own. And because she wasn't a forth as atrocious as her fellow classmates, Mr. Gales allowed her to attend the grand rounds on campus. Only kicker was that she needed "photographic evidence" of the presenter to prove she went there. Then she was to return promptly to campus by noon- which a student RA from the residence hall would verify.

But after bribing him thirty dollars, Miren lucked out with the whole day at her disposal.

So like the overachiever she was, she spent too much of it learning about inoperable brain tumors and how the neurosurgery fellow that was presenting had found a way past this because he was apparently Jesus. The presentation would have been boring enough to give her an inoperable (but now apparently operable) brain tumor, but the doctor also happened to be easy on the eyes.

When it was over, she cut through the crowd of adoring fans - ok, medical people - and took a photo.

Using flash by accident, the doctor's eyes immediately snapped in her direction. Shit. Fortunately for her, the man grinned.

"I know that emblem from anywhere," he said, pointing to the crest on her t-shirt. "I was also a Rinzen raccoon," he informed her. "Unfortunately, most doctors are spoiled private school kids." Miren nodded as the man laughed, the shock of being caught slightly wearing off.

"That's good to hear," she said carefully, albeit nervously. "My apologies. I needed a photo to prove I came here."

"What? You should be out having fun. It's LA." He signed another autograph before sighing, his blue eyes suddenly bored. "Hell, even I don't want to be here. Try to enjoy your time here - and at Rinzen. The real world hits you before you know it."

"Ok." Miren nodded slowly. He was right, even if he was just a familiar stranger.

***

Because Miren didn't want to run into people she actually knew, she also opted out of the cliche LA experience. No Hollywood Sign or Chinese Theater for her. No Griffith Observatory. No In-and-Out Burger.

The farthest place she could think of was Malibu, so she took an hour-long bus to bougieville, dressed more like herself. When she made it to Zuma Beach, she partially regretted coming here. For one, it was hot as hell. Second, her phone was almost dead and there were no chargers in the sand. Still, the sight of the blue water was freeing. So she took off her shoes, her toes digging into the sand as she passed the boardwalk. She closed her eyes, feeling free for once. She took a deep breath, the smell of sea water and wet sand filling her nostrils. The odor wasn't particularly pleasant, but it eased her even further. Finally, she was on vacation -

A text from Jemma reminded her that there was no escaping anything ever. A picture of the cheerleader and Olive and even Theodora in the company of two other popular girls surfaced on her device. Miren's eyes instinctively narrowed. There was no way Theodora would be even remotely okay with Olive's company. Then again, it wasn't like Jeno and Olive had officially announced that they were dating.