76 | We Will

"Where the hell is Olive?" Penelope said as she and Chara entered the dancehall. Truthfully, the whole thing felt like a wasted effort. How many people did it take to plant a manilla folder in a teenage boy's room? The security personnel had decided to guide the perimeter of the building, as well as any exits. With their caterer chic attire, they were free to roam the halls like ghosts in a haunted mansion.

"Olive has it handled," Chara dismissed before turning to her girlfriend. "In fact, she told me that she originally wanted to do the mission alone. But I intervened."

"Then why are we even here?" Penelope pouted. "Last I checked, I'm not interning to be a caterer any time soon."

"Because I wanted to go to prom with you. Even if it meant hiding in the background for most of it," the sophomore announced, taking Penelope's hand. "Let's go to the courtyard. It'll be romantic."

"Only if I get a dance," Penelope then mused, pinching her hand. By the time they made it to the enclosed outdoor oasis, the speakers were playing a slow pop ballad. Chara grinned even wider, before pulling Penelope into her arms. Penelope's smile matched her's before tucking a strand of platinum blonde hair, a wig, from her face. Chara looked at her as intensely as the moon as they started to move to the calming beat, their dancing as fluid as the air between them.

"Despite what has happened this year, I'm glad it's led me to you," Chara spoke softly as she leaned against Penelope's neck, their hands interlocked like their bodies.

"Chara," Penelope whispered, closing her eyes. "I know we've only been together for a little while now, but no one has ever made me feel so seen. You make me want to be better--I'm trying so hard to be better now. And you have no idea how happy I am right here with you." She felt tears wet her eyes and threaten to fall. "You make me so happy."

"I hope I can continue to," she then replied, brushing her lips against Penelope's supple neck. She smelled like lilac and love, and it took everything to resist the urge to kiss her with everything she had right then. But their secret wasn't out. And Chara still had secrets between them. Raising slightly, Chara brushed a hand through Penelope's jet black curls - also a wig - before offering her a smile laced with pain and regret. "I have to tell you something--"

"Please don't tell me you two are up to something," a familiar voice said with a sigh as their heads snapped up. "What I'm seeing right now is so touching. It would be disappointing, and dare I say predictable, if we ended a dance with another scandal."

"Hello to you too," it was Chara who said this, as her eyes narrowed slightly on Artemis, the author of their interruption. She had no bone to pick with the junior, but Artemis was even more of a wildcard than Jemma or Olive these days. Who's to say she hadn't ratted them out to the headmistress?

Who was to say she wasn't already ten steps ahead of their plan?

Artemis looked at the ground before shaking her head almost bashfully. "I'm sorry, that was rude of me. We haven't spoken in months and the first thing I did was accuse you of doing something bad."

A bit taken back by her apology, Chara scratched her head. "Well, we are crashing a school sanctioned event dressed as the help." She shrugged. "Apology accepted--if you leave us alone."

"Besides, who's to say you're not up to something?" Penelope finally chimed. "Last I checked, you hated Soren's guts. When did you two start dating again?"

"Officially two months ago." Artemis folded her arms. "I was just trying to get some intel at first. Seemed like he was the most likely person to have orchestrated 'Wallace's' attack in the woods for payback. But each passing day I was with him, it became increasingly obvious that he had nothing to do with it, and that he was genuinely sorry for losing sight of his humanity the same way I had both before and after Miren died.