34

Jeno had stared out of the kitchen window for so long that he was surprised the season hadn't changed.

"I know we're brothers and all, but that doesn't mean I'm okay with unauthorized sleepovers. Especially when you don't let me know what's bothering you," Dr. Edsel told Jeno as he started to brew a cup of coffee. He didn't look particularly tired, but he was hoping it would improve his mood. Naturally, Jeno wasn't the most cordial of guests. "I had to cancel my date last night with my fiancé."

"Pretty sure she was the one that canceled it," Jeno replied as he broke from his spell, a small yawn escaping him. But despite how nonchalant and stoic he wanted to come off, it was obvious he hadn't gotten much sleep the other night. Edsel examined him in the corner of this eye, tried to consider what had him all worked up. Nothing worked up Jeno—he had gone through the college admissions process without a single complaint.

"I'm pretty sure there's something you're not telling me," Roger then said, growing bored of this whole ordeal. He'd be having brunch with Carlie and some other faculty members soon. And something told him that Jeno's presence here was his only window of opportunity to figure out the truth. "Why did you and Parker try to kill each other? Did you really have a relationship with that girl?"

Jeno just rolled his eyes, pulling his backpack over his shoulder. "I just wanted to get away from Miles' lectures. So don't start with me. I'll go to my detentions, but not if Parker is in the same room."

"You're not in the position to make demands." Roger took a sip, forcing the bitter liquid down like this conversation. "First you break up with Theodora for no reason to date Penelope the Pornstar. And now you were involved with the dead girl?" His eyes narrowed on his brother. "Are you sure you don't have anything to do with what's been happening?"

Jeno clenched his jaw as he turned toward the kitchen window. He could be honest. Could just come clean. After all, he did just condemn Miren for her serial lying.

Then again, whatever secrets he had weren't with Roger; he didn't owe him anything. And sharing DNA was already too much.

"I only said that to piss off Parker," Jeno offered, his expression more passive than it had ever been. "But if Miren and I were a thing, if I played a part in this mess that's swept over the school, what do you think my end game would be?" His eyes, like a dying fire, grew slightly in intensity. "You think I'm foolish enough to risk everything for a girl?"

Edsel just blinked at him, pursing his lips slightly. The staring match went longer than what was probably comfortable for either of them, but it was a valid question that deserved a valid response. When hell finally froze over, the older brother shrugged.

"I think you'd fight for one," he finally decided. "And you literally did in front of the entire student body." He patted Jeno's shoulder. "I'm sorry your secret girlfriend is dead," he added jokingly.

"What if she wasn't dead?" Yes, it was stupid to be looking for some sort of consultation from someone like Roger, but he was at a loss. When he shrugged again, Jeno knew he had made a mistake.

"Honestly, she's a lot cuter than your other little girlfriends. And she actually seemed sane. Well, before The Pornstar killed her." There was a knock on the door, and Edsel sprang toward it. "That should be Carlie."

Sensing he'd overstayed his welcome (it was only after ten, but somehow Roger was even more insufferable than his twin), Jeno rose to his feet. He'd just slid on his shoes when he saw a fuming Olive standing at the front doorway.

"We need to talk."

***

"I don't want to talk about this anymore," Miren said, realizing she'd just made a colossal mistake.