Chapter 1

I wasn't going to publish this story for a while as I wanted to polish it out a bit more, but I lost a dear friend today, so I wanted to do something for her. So here it is.

---

Zali never used to like reading books, till she discovered the wonderful world of magic.

After that beautiful thing came into her life, she found books to be a welcome doorway into a wonderful world where anything was possible.

Sure, basic magic came as second nature to her. Controlling the elements was one of the easier aspects of it. But actually creating life, or changing something from one thing to another was beyond difficult.

She would study the techniques of old masters for hours before finally escaping to bed where she would dream that she was the greatest mage in all the world, able to bend even time to her will.

Only to be woken by her alarm to go to college and return to the realm of mortals. Sure, she went to a college for mages, but it was still boring in her mind. Why take classes that teach mortal things when she could spend all her time doing magic!?

Honestly,she wished math and english would vanish from existence. Those would be the first two things she got rid of when she had ultimate power.

When her math class finally ended, and she had the rest of the day off, she disappeared into the library where she went at the end of each day. The endless books there made enduring the mortal classes at the school well worth the time.

Of course, she finished her own work first before delving into the world of magic.

She found a book on dragon magic, but knew it would be far to advance for her, so instead she went with the simpler manipulation of space. She wanted more than anything to create a pocket dimension where she could easily hide from the rest of the world.

She sat happily at her table and shut out the rest of the world. She wrote down some notes as she read, making sure to keep the important bits for later review.

Someone slid into a the seat beside her, smiling softly as he put a hand over her book.

Zali raised her head with a slight smile as she looked to her friend. "I see you finally got out of class Viyan."

"Of course I did." He answered with a grin. "As per usual I got kicked out for asking questions."

"You ask far too many." Zali rolled her eyes.

"I'm hoping she won't let me back in tomorrow so I can join you here."He laughed.

"I actually get my work done!" Zali announced. "It's not my fault if you hate it so much you make fun of it."

"I don't make fun! I'm trying to understand why it's so important!" He retorted.

The two shared in their laughter, before the two of them helped eachother study the arcane arts.

The two of them paused as one of the Librarians came in holding a rather large book. He placed it on the counter, and looked at the woman working behind it.

"The Hunter's Guild dropped this off, saying it was far to advanced for the students here. Can you put this in the back with the others?"He asked.

"Of course." The woman nodded.

As the man left, a young lady about Zali's age ran in followed by two other girls holding balls of water in their hands. The three of them were laughing hysterically, as the two threw the water balls at their friend.

Water sprayed against the bookshelves, drenching some of the books. The librarian behind the counter yelled and ran around it, leaving the book where it was before chasing the girls around the library.