Chapter 46

Zali yawned and rolled over, finding that her lover had snuck out once again for her morning classes.

How do you always sneak out without me waking? Zali questioned.

Practice. Isirona answered. I left you breakfast as usual.

Of course you did.

Zali picked herself out of bed and got dressed, sighing as the noticed her clothing from last night was placed in the laundry bin and out of the way where she or Isirona would likely take care of them later. She headed out into the living room, and sure enough Isirona had left a plate of eggs and bacon wrapped up nicely.

She couldn't help but smile as she sat at the island and ate it happily. She wondered if the succubus used magic to make sure that it was still warm or if she just hadn't left too long ago. She didn't really care for the time, it wasn't like she had anywhere to be until later.

There was a soft knock on her door, and Zali picked herself up to go answer it. Sure enough Vanessa was standing there looking peeved. "Good morning?" Zali questioned.

"Actually, it's noon." Vanessa answered.

"Sorry? Is everything okay?" Zali asked.

"Yeah... well no..." Vanessa admitted, pushing her way into the room, nearly knocking Zali over.

"Yeah sure, come on in." Zali rolled her eyes and closed the door.

"What? Oh. Right. Sorry." Vanessa sighed. "I'm just really distracted."

"By? You still haven't told me what's wrong. Did you and Ceira fight?"

"No. Thankfully. I don't think I could survive her rage." Vanessa chuckled before sitting on the couch. "I've just been feeling really weird lately."

"Weird? How so?" Zali asked, sitting beside her sister and watching her curiously.

"I'm not entirely sure. Which is why it's bothering me so much. I feel on edge, like something's wrong but also not wrong. Like there's something I'm supposed to do, but I don't know what it is."

"Do you know when it started?"

"Honestly, the first time I felt it was when we were talking by the footba- the soccer field. I got distracted by that girl who smelled like vanilla."

"It could have been the cigarette." Zali noted.

"It was her. She was wearing a perfume." Vanessa answered. "I tracked her down to find out what it was and I had to run."

"Why?"

"Because I almost lost control!" Vanessa admitted. "Something about the way she smelled made me want to just attack her! I got scared and told Ceira, but she says that I did the right thing and shouldn't worry too much about it. But ever since then it's like there's this nagging feeling in the back of my head again."

"Again?"

"Like when I was first turned. Like the monster inside me is trying to take control again." Vanessa explained. "I don't want to go back to being hunted."

"No one's going to hunt you again." Zali rolled her eyes. "There are other vampires here that you can talk to, you know? You can figure this out."

"Come with me?" Vanessa asked.

"What? Why me? Why not Ceira?"

"Because... I trust you more."

"Seriously, did you and Ceira fight?"

Vanessa groaned and leaned back against the couch. "We didn't fight. She's perfect, and I really mean that. I won't give her up for the world. But I think she'd want me to embrace it to find out what it is. And since she knows I can't attack people here, she'd probably have me bite her or something. And I don't want to hurt her."