Chapter 52

Zali sat at the edge of the soccer field watching her sister go toe to toe with that werewolf they saw the last time she was here. Vanessa was clearly faster, but that woman had more skill. She was able to steal the ball from between Vanessa's quick feet, but she only made it a few steps before Vanessa stole it back and sprinted for her goal.

"Remind me why you asked me to come watch anything?" Kai asked.

"I'm not really a fan of sports, so I'm exploiting you to keep me company." Zali answered.

"Fair enough." Kai shrugged. "Is there a reason we're so far away?"

"I don't want Vanessa to be able to bother us." Zali answered.

"Nebit never causes me any sort of problems." The fox crossed her arms over her chest with a grumble. "She's always taking care of me."

"Vanessa does take care of me when I need it and vice versa. But she's also a huge pain in the ass. She's basically Chysolite, except now I have to like her."

"I see. Unfortunate."

"I noticed." Zali grumbled.

"So you'd avoid Vanessa if you could?"

"I wouldn't say that. Vanessa means a lot to me. Not only did she literally save my life, but she also really does genuinely care about me."

"So you want to watch her game, but you don't want her to know you're watching your game?"

"I'm sure she knows... and it's a practice game."

Kai rolled her eyes. "Why don't we sit with the other people who are watching."

"Fine." Zali grumbled and stood up. The two made their way over to the bleachers where they watched the rest of the game in relative peace. It was just a simple training game, with both teams comprised of people from the school's team. Vanessa and Lyall seemed to be complete rivals, balancing each other out and making for a game that was pretty entertaining to watch.

"Damn. That werewolf is really talented." Zali noted.

"Do you know who it is?"

"Dale told me her name was Lyall. She's apparently a daughter of Luna." The young mage kept a close eye on the werewolf who dashed across the field.

"That would explain it. If she's a daughter of Luna then of course she would have some talent. Escpecially since she would have had to have been born even knowing the Prophecy forbid it. She's likely lived her whole life on the run or training to be the best she could ever be."

"Vanessa seems to have her beat in a few aspects." Zali watched as her sister stole the ball once more and dashed off in the opposite direction. "She's faster than her."

"Speed isn't everything."

Sure enough, while Vanessa was basically premptively celebrating her goal, another person from Lyall's team kicked the ball from right between the vampire's legs and straight back at the wolf who simply turned and launched the ball into her goal.

"Yeah, Lyall just scored a goal. I guess Vanessa forgot there were more people on the field besides her and Lyall." Zali rolled her eyes.

Zali couldn't hear what was being said exactly but the coach seemed to love Lyall's use of teamwork, and hate Vanessa's. The vampire still had a stupid grin on her face even though she appeared to be getting reprimanded. As they were leaving she shook Lyall's hand and the two of them had a short conversation before parting ways.

Vanessa made her way over to Zali and Kai, the grin still on her face. "Thanks for being here. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside." The vampire gave a thumbs up.