Chapter 69

Zali sat in front of the school's arena for she first time. Taking in how much effort went into making it look like a Greek Colosseum complete with marble columns. The crackle of magic could be found and often seen just outside the sand circle that made up the base of the arena. It was about the size of a football field, clearly set up for mages to duke it out with the full force of their magic.

The stands surrounding the arena were lined with hundreds of seats, most of which had been filled by various students that were cheering and screaming in amusment. The arena itself was lowered into the ground about twenty feet to make sure that as little collateral damage could occur. Zali never really expected to find herself here, but apparently these mock battles had been common in the many months the school had been up.

She was lucky enough to have a box seat just above the floor of the arena. She glanced at Isirona who was watching with amusment, her paperwork long forgotten. They had decided to attend and see what it would be like, only to find the first match was one they certainly didn't expect.

Kai rolled across the ground, dodging whips of pure shadow as they smashed into the sand like a raging octopus made of darkness. An orb lay at the center of the writhing mass with two violet eyes glowing through the weaves. Kai's hair was already lit ablaze, and scorch marks littered the walls and sand. Shards of glass were thrown about and lay shattered against the walls.

Kai stood up and turned her head towards the orb of darkness with a huff. Her blindfold was wrapped around her face and she was wearing her usual leather armor. Her vest was made of a deep red leather with straps of orange and yellow. Her bracers were gold but only her right one was decorated in several different colored gemstones. Her trousers were black with red leather boots. Several yellow straps wrapped around her thighs leaving several knives ready for throwing. She had gold plates of armor on her shins and one peeked out at her collar.

Zali had never seen Kai so prepared for a battle, and she'd be lying if the girl didn't look like she came straight out of a fantasy novel. Or that she didn't look like a divine Goddess.

The person in the orb of darkness was at first thought to be Nyx. Zali could only assume the Goddess of Night was dueling with the Fire Fox. Instead, during one of Kai's more vicious attacks, the orb receded just enough to reveal an armored Reza, wearing dark plate armor and holding a huge scythe that appeared to be made of bones and darkened steel.

Kai's blindfold was basically lit aflame with her magical fire, giving her the appearance of an etherial crown that was burning white hot. The red of her clothing and blindfold stood out effortlessly, and each step she took left footsprints of glass in the sand.

"I didn't think she could be so irritated." Zali noted.

"You sense her irritation?" Isirona asked, glancing to her partner.

"Is that a side effect of having her in my body, or part of your nature?"

"I don't know. But I most certainly can sense it too." Isirona grinned. "I don't think she expected Reza to fight almost identically to her mother.

"So that's the power that Nyx wields?"

"Nyx's power is far more flexible and effortless. She had used magic far longer than Reza has. The girl has only recently started to use it, usually prefering the simplicity of her blade. But Kai's nature makes it impossible for her to get close enough to use it, so she has no choice but to attack from a distance." Isirona explained.

Kai seemed to have been testing the barrier for weaknesses as she had circled it several times. Zali could see across the arena that Chysolite was seated in a booth with Nebit watching with grins on their faces. They were cheering, but Zali couldn't hear them through the crowd. She was only able to notice them by Chysolite's green skin color.