Chapter 32

Zali winced painfully as she climbed the stairs of her school building. As much as she would have liked to stay home and sleep off her pain, she knew getting up and resuming her life would be her best chance at feeling better.

She was slower, and it took her a bit longer to get to her classes than it used to, but none of her teachers complained. They all considered her as one of the people who saved the school.

She wasn't sure where they got that idea from, as she spent most of the conflict with a hole in her chest, but she did enjoy the praise.

Even her peers were very grateful for her and were more than happy to help her with books and such. They tried to get her a elevator pass but the young mage refused. The more she moved, the more used to the pain she'd get.

Not only that but Dale's vines were a god send. She couldn't hurt herself too much and the pain was far more bearable. 

"You don't really look like you should be going back to classes." Came a voice from above her.

Zali looked up finding a teacher standing at the top of the staircase looking down at her with concern written all over his face.

Zali didn't recognize the professor and she had Dale with her, so she wasn't worried.

"No, probably not." Zali muttered, continuing to make her way up the steps. "But I didn't contribute to protecting this school like everyone seems to think I did."

"You protected a teacher and stood up for what you believed in. There's nothing wrong with that." The teacher answered, making his way down towards Zali. "Isirona might have horns and a tail, but she's the best teacher at this school."

"So people keep telling me." Zali laughed.

He offered a hand to Zali who took it cautiously, and allowed the gentleman to help support her weight by pulling her arm over his shoulders as he helped her up the stairs before stepping back and smiling softly at her. "Well she was always a good teacher." He continued. "Even in Exodious she was the best I've ever had."

Zali blinked. "You're from Exodious?"

"I came here two years ago." He explained. "I wanted to show people the same things I learned. That includes how we treat demons."

"Are you human?"

"Indeed." He nodded. "Getting used to everything here took time of course, but they were happy to have someone who studied with the brightest minds come be a teacher."

"I'm sure." Zali smiled softly. "I have to get to my class though. Thanks for helping me up."

"Of course. Tell Isirona that Keith says hi." He smiled then bowed respectively before heading down the steps.

Zali watched him go for a second before turning and heading into the hallway and towards Isirona's classroom.

When she entered the lesson had only just begun, but no one was surprised that Zali was late. Isirona barely paused when she came in, instead continuing to write her spells on the board.

Zali sat down with a grunt of pain before the vines under her shirt moved and repositioned themselves to be better suited to reducing pain. She silently thanked Dale by gently tapping her earring.

She really didn't know what she would have done without the nymph. Dale was even more helpful than Isirona most of the time, and as far as she was aware the Nymph could not read her mind. Yet she always knew exactly what needed to be done and how to do it.

"Does anyone know the spell needed to silence a mage?" Isirona questioned.

"That's not illusion is it?" Someone asked.