Chapter 8

Zali finished her homework before sighing deeply and leaning back in her chair before turning to face the succubus who was sound asleep on her bed.

She seriously considered waking her up so she could teach her something.

How could that damned succubus just fall asleep when she was supposed to teach her more amazing magics?

She got up from her chair and headed downstairs and into the kitchen to make herself a snack. She found her mother sitting on the couch wrapped in her own quilt watching TV. Her brother sitting beside her with a beer in his hand.

Honestly she was surprised at how normal they looked together. They were both Hunters after all, and completely aware that there was a demon literally sleeping in Zali's bed.

She made herself a sandwich before heading back upstairs, finding the succubus exactly where she left her. She glanced over at Izzy's book on the nightstand and found herself picking it up and setting it on the desk as she sat down. She picked up the sandwich in one hand and opened the book with the other.

She found going over the text in the book far more entertaining than having the tricky succubus try and get in her pants. The more she read, the more powerful she felt, and honestly she was loving it. Before she even realized it she had finished a chapter, and her sandwich.

She looked over at the succubus finding her back was now turned to her, the blankets pulled around her shoulders.

"You can hear my thoughts right?"

"Indeed." Izzy answered.

"Why don't you want me reading the book?"

"What makes you think that?"

"I just get the feeling you don't want me to." Zali answered as she looked back to the large tome.

The succubus sighed deeply. "I fear once you finish it you won't need me to teach you magic anymore, and so you won't want me around."

"Wouldn't you be happy to go back to the Wizard's Tower?" Zali questioned.

"Perhaps I don't want to go?"

"Why wouldn't you?"

"Because you're not there."

Zali turned quickly finding that the succubus was no longer in the bed, and instead was nowhere to be found. She looked around the room curiously, but sighed realizing she had probably left for her Pocket Dimension.

Why did the Succubus care so much for her? They barely knew each other.

Perhaps that was why the succubus was so interested in her. She was an unknown. Something she hadn't had the time to study. Then once she did learn all she needed to, would she just go away? Would the Succubus leave her behind?

She looked back at the book.

Who's falling for who? She thought to herself.

She closed the book, pushed it forward, then leaned down so her arms were resting on the desk and her head was resting on her arms as she watched the book.

"You're both in my head, and in this book. So I know you can hear me somehow. If you've really fallen for me, then why do I get the feeling you're just using me? Is it because some part of me still doesn't trust you, or is it because you really can't be trusted?"

She was met with only silence and sighed before leaning back. "No, I guess you wouldn't answer that question. An answer would probably only make things worse." She looked back towards the bed then back at the book. "You're afraid I won't need you anymore, but what do you gain by staying with me? I know I'm not just sex to you because you're not actively trying to break free of your contract with me. And I'm definitely not that good at it. But, I just don't get it. You want to stay, but what do you get out of staying? What do you get from staying with me? A new student? A fling? I don't understand you, I just don't."