Chapter 29

Once Vanessa was restrained, they removed her seals and allowed her body to heal naturally. Unfortunately, that meant letting her instincts run rampant since the Quicksilver was still in her system. But the dangerous substance was also extremely toxic to humans, so she would have died had they not freed her.

Unfortunately, the bullet was also blessed, so her healing was still delayed even with magic.

Ciera and Sol were healing Vanessa to the best of their abilities, but it was taking a while. And even while Vanessa was still conscious, holding her instincts back was impossible even though she was trying. The girl was in a ton of mental pain.

She and Zali were side by side on Isirona's bed, the former was tied up in both vines and chains to keep her safe. Her jaw was clenched and she was growling painfully. She was still able to think and answer questions, but every time one of them got too close she would lunge, or attempt to, before apologizing.

"That fucking mongaloid!" Vanessa shouted. "I'll kill her for this!"

"Relax my sweet. It'll be out of your system soon, I promise." Ciera answered, before looking over to Zali who was still unconscious.

They had removed her shirt to see how bad the damage was and found that it was far worse than they expected. There was a hole about an inch or so deep blasted into her chest and the blast area itself was about a square foot across the poor girl's chest. It looked more like she was hit with a cannon ball than a lightning strike.

Isirona was doing her best with Dale and Aileena, healing as much as they could, but magic does leave behind a residue that doesn't fade or heal easily. The poor girl was certainly making progress, but not fast enough to warrant relaxing.

Isirona was in shambles, and probably not helping as much as she could have been if she had any sort of focus. Unfortunately, seeing her lover like this was completely heart wrenching.

"Izzy... maybe you should rest?" Aileena offered.

"How much rest do you think I'm going to get knowing she's like this?" Isirona questioned, looking extremely pained as she looked to her sister.

"I'm honestly surprised you remained in control." Aileena noted. "I thought for sure it would take over."

Isirona shook her head. "It almost did. But there was too much shock."

"She'll recover Izzy. I promise you."

"You could make her immortal." Dale offered.

"The choice must be her's to make." Isirona told her.

"Do you really think she won't want to spend an eternity being pampered?" Aileena questioned.

"That's her choice to make!" Isirona repeated.

"Izzy?" Came Zali's whimper.

"Zali?! I'm here!" Isirona called, quickly snatching up her lover's hand and holding onto it tightly.

"You didn't... get hit... right? I blocked it...?" She asked, her eyes fluttering like she was trying to open them but couldn't find the strength.

"You're worried about me? You nearly died!" Isirona shouted, placing her other hand on Zali's cheek. "You still could..." she whimpered.

"Humans... are frail... compared... to you..."

"You are so much stronger than you know my love." Isirona told her, tears dripping down her face.

Zali blinked painfully, tears beginning to pour down her face as it contorted in both pain and fear.

"I don't want to die." The girl whimpered barely above a whisper.