Chapter 4

Viyan left after talking with Zali for another few minutes. But neither one of the mages could deny the words that the demon had said, no matter how badly they wanted to.

She was right, mankind was truly forcing demon's hands. They attacked them simply because they weren't human. There was no other reason.

Isirona was seated in Zali's room, sitting on her bed with her head lowered almost like she had been defeated, or perhaps she was guilty. Zali finished up the things she had to do around the house before meeting her up there.

"Mistress... Have I upset you with my words?" Izzy said, without raising her head.

"No." Was Zali's answer. She didn't really want to continue to talk about these things with the Succubus. She didn't enjoy being proven so very wrong, and each time the Succubus opened her mouth she found herself feeling more and more guilty.

"I think I will leave you alone then." Izzy said as she stood up, her gaze still on the floor.

"You don't have to." Zali scratched the back of her head nervously. "I'm getting the feeling that if you wanted to ruin my life you wouldn't have mentioned the collar. Or you would have killed Viyan when he started talking shit."

"I won't lie... I was tempted." Izzy admitted. "But I have no interest in conflict with someone who refuses to see past what I am, to see who I am. While you do alienate me, you are starting to open up to me... so thank you."

"Don't get ahead of yourself. We're not friends."

"Not yet." Izzy smiled softly. "Would you like me to work on separating our souls?"

Zali sighed deeply. "Let's give Viyan some time to cool down. If we get separated I feel like he'll just have you killed."

"You're worried about my life?"

"You've done nothing to prove him right, so I'm getting the feeling that you're not a killer. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt."

"Thank you." Izzy bowed respectively. "I will not let you down."

"I just hope he doesn't tell my brother."

"It's unlikely. If your brother is really so deep in the Hunter's Guild, he'll most likely try to kill me or imprison me until you and I can be separated. The same goes for your mother." Izzy explained.

"Can I ask you something, about Succubi?"

"Of course."

"Succubi gain their tails when they find their mate don't they?"

"Indeed."

"Then why do you have a tail?"

"My tail can be hidden, because it is only an extension of my demonic nature. Not to mention I am on a different level than most succubi, allowing me full control over which parts of my body are transformed. It's unlikely that even if I found my mate, I would not get a permanent tail." Izzy explained.

"What kind of Succubi are you, where you're so different?"

"I am one of the more ancient breeds. Before Succubi were a known race, the Devil's had more of an impact in the world. But Devil's are more... ordered. There's less chaos in a Devil's pact than in a Succubi's. I'm somewhere in between the two."

"But Devils are a thing too aren't they?"

"Indeed. Succubi evolved off of the Devil. The earliest Succubi gave up on contracts to gain power, and instead turned towards taking from humans by borrowing life essence. I am a Succubus, but I'm also very close to a Devil in nature."