Chapter 43

Zali leaned back on the bench and sighed deeply, running her hand over the soreness in her chest, trying to push it away.

"It's still sore then?" Kai questioned, one of her ears lifting up and facing Zali, waiting for her answer. The young fox continued to ghost her fingers over the brail of her book, not wanting to miss even a moment of it, even as she waited for her friend's response.

"Isirona and I don't think it will ever heal properly." Zali confessed. "As a permanent reminder that I'd do anything for her."

A small smile crossed Kai's lips. "Yet when you usually speak of her you insult her, and complain that she torments you all the time."

"She does." Zali grumbled.

"But you would so easily throw your life away for her sake?"

Zali sighed, lowering her hand from her chest. "She's not so bad... when we're alone."

"Chysolite should be able to help ease your pain." The fox admitted, her tail flicking beside her like she attempted to swat a fly.

"It's alright. If Chysolite goes and uses her magic on everyone who needs it she's going to wear herself down. It's not fair of me to get special treatment just because I'm your friend."

"That's a perfect reason why you should get special treatment. You shouldn't be so hard on yourself. It's our choice who we decide to help."

"Then I should have the right to decline." Zali noted.

"I suppose."

"I'm really fine with it. It's not as though it's always really bad. Sometimes it doesn't hurt at all. It just catches me off guard when I move the wrong way, or when I overexert myself."

"Like when you enjoy yourself with your Isirona?" Kai questioned.

"I don't really think that's any of your business." Zali glared, getting the fox to smile again.

"Fair enough."

"Speaking of girlfriends, where's Chysolite?"

"She wanders around the campus when I'm not with her. She likes to make sure everyone's doing okay. Especially since Desdemona is being blamed for fallen angel attacks." Kai explained.

"Desdemona is still being blamed?"

"She has a two Guardian Angels that follow her around. One of them has Fallen because she wanted to know what it felt like to screw around with the Devil of Lust. The other is the embodiment of goodness, and she keeps Desdemona in line most of the time." Kai explained.

"How do you know all that? She never spoke about it in the meetings?"

"Chysolite is keeping an eye on her. She wants to be able to prove that Desdemona isn't causing any real problems. As far as she's aware, Desdemona isn't doing anything. She's just trying to make the school a better place. The only thing Chysolite's noticed is that she's flirting heavily with Kendra, which doesn't really surprise me considering they're roommates."

"Do Devil's have mates like demons do?"

"I don't believe so. Since I grew up in Exodious I'm not very familiar with Angels and Devils, since they're more native to The Human World. But I don't think Desdemona truly has malice in her. Melisande on the other hand. I don't trust that woman at all." Kai grumbled. "She's getting into a lot of trouble with other students even though she's only here because of Reza."

"You don't like Reza either?"

"I don't mind Reza so much. But I'm hoping Melisande will be removed from the school grounds. She's a danger to other people and she's far too aggressive."