Chapter 56

Zali woke to a loud thud, her eyes opening quickly and realizing that the blankets had been half hazardly pulled off of her. She sat up and looked over to find Isirona had fallen out of the bed, and was now staring at her with a look of almost fear.

"Izzy?" Zali called, not daring to move just in case this wasn't her Isirona. "What do you remember?"

Isirona looked around the room like she was desperately trying to recall anything.

Zali moved so she was sitting on her knees, but didn't move towards the succubus. "Just take your time okay? That Necromancer's spell really did a number on you."

The succubus looked back at Zali like she was shocked that the woman would know about Vax. "Who are you?" She paused a moment, then turned her head like she could remember, before looking back at Zali for an answer.

Those three words crushed Zali more than she ever could have expected, and she visibly winced in response.

"I'm Zali, and I've been your girlfriend for a while now." Zali explained as she tried not to cry. "We were at the party when Vax showed up and attacked you. She put a spell on you that has been messing with your memories. Chysolite, a Zealot, stepped in and managed to slow it's progress, but I guess it finally took effect."

"What did she do to my memories?" Isirona asked, placing a hand on the side of her head before snarling angrily. "I can still see them Zali, like they're mine, but they're also far away, and some are fading in and out entirely! Like I'm caught between two different lives!"

"Specifically she targeted your memories of me, but because I'm the reincarnation of the person who freed you from her the first time, it effects a lot of your memories. But if you can still remember them then they can't be entirely gone right?" Zali was really wishing that she had a panic button that called Kai and Chysolite to her.

Actually, Kai might already know. She might have gotten a vision.

Isirona blinked before moving her hand over her own chest where she gripped her shirt. Zali then noticed her own chest start to tense up, likely from her inner panic.

"I got hurt." Zali noted, watching as the succubus looked up at her in shock once more, and watched Zali move her own hand over her wound. "I took a lightning bolt in the chest. If I hadn't it would have hit you."

"You're my mate." She stated. It almost sounded like it could have been a question.

"Yeah."

Isirona leaned her head back with a groan. "Vax took away so much of my life! I remember some things that I don't actually remember doing! Like some things are still here even though they're not!"

"When you get your memories back I'll have you tell me your age."

"If I get them back." The succubus grumbled, her voice no longer gentle and kind like Zali was used to. "Vax was- Is incredibly powerful. I was never able to beat them before."

"Considering you put up a seal to protect your memories and her spell is still pushing through like this, I'm not really that suprised. I'm just really glad she didn't possess you."

I don't know what I'd ever do without you.

Isirona flinched at Zali's thoughts. "Our minds are connected too?"

"When I found you, you were trapped inside a book that Vax had sealed you in. I freed you from the book, but in turn it bound you to me instead. You eventually broke free of the seals and binds, but after coming to this school, we realized that we both missed each other's thoughts. So Chysolite connected our minds again."