Game of Thrones Tales: Back to the Throne Room... Part XXI

Summary: There's only one solution when Tyrion and Sansa have found the new King as mad as the Mad Targaryen and cynically evil, once on the throne, as Joffrey. So evil he's happily allowed the world to be invaded by unspeakably hideous creatures from some little planet out on the spiral rim of the Galaxy, to secure his reign of terror.

Part XXI...

Isolated, wind-blasted corner on the top of the Wall, early morning...

"Kendrick?!" Samwell howled over the wind to the hapless young recruit, lanky and thin but looking nearly as large as Sam in heavy winter coat, extra fur, and boots, fresh from a couple of not entirely generously allowed hours of rest after his night of scrubbing the Hall floors. After all, discipline must be maintained, Sam had noted to himself that night...With no little satisfaction, he had had to admit to himself... Setting Kendrick to his task after offering him a chance to redeem himself in the eyes of his superiors.

With a minor feat of courage and flex...er, ability...He noted solemnly to the boy.

"...Are you ready?! Is your harness secure?!"

Kendrick in said harness, rechecking, nodding, offering a thumbs' up....

Interesting that was once our way of declaring a man what the Dirters call a homosex...homosexual, Samwell thought. But it's caught on with us as an "all's well, ready" sign since their coming.

At least I hope Kendrick meant to indicate all's well...And was not surreptitiously trying to indicate availability.

"Ready, sir!" Kendrick resolved the issue, giving nervous smile.

"Just pull the center rope when you want Drogon to let you down!" Sam called. "He's been trained and he's very bright! He'll understand! And don't worry, he's fond of people! He's always careful with us!"

Well, with those he knows who feed and play with him, Sam did not say...

"Yes, sir!"

"You have the photo-graph...The portrait...Of Dr. Sin-clair?!"

"Yes!" Kendrick waved the photo. "But...?!"

"It's just to help you judge his size and build! Anyone you see heading out at this hour should be him, especially North!" Sam cried. He looked down though blown previously fallen snow and fresh, now moderately falling, to the structure far below, projecting out on the North side. A fairly new one, built to accommodate the Wall's most famous and recent tenant...Its roof now slowly opening.

"Here he comes! Get ready!" Sam called. "Remember, there'll be a bit of a jerk at first!"

"Aye, sir! Thanks, sir!" Kendrick nodded. Fixing hands on the harness ropes which fell far below to the structure from which something was now emerging and rising...Rapidly in spite of the cold and wind and snow...To their level.

"You sure you know how to use the camera device?!" Samwell, anxiously pointing to the camera, a reverse- Maestered bit of Dirter technology allowed to the Watch for its surveillance work and now being put to especially good use.

"Yes, sir...I have one at home! This is just a bit more complicated with the special lens! But I just set it, point, and click!"

"Right! Good! Good luck! Don't stay up too long, I know it can be grand but you don't want to be spotted!" he shouted, struggling to be heard.

"Yes, sir! But, sir!" Kendrick began... "What should I do about....?"

"Yes?! Oh..." Sam blinked as Kendrick was lifted suddenly off the Wall, Drogon soaring by in a rush...