Game of Thrones: "Back to the Throne Room" Part XXXVIII...

Game of Thrones Tales: Back to the Throne Room...

Summary: There's only one solution when Tyrion and Sansa have found the new King as mad as the Mad Targaryen and cynically evil, once on the throne, as Joffrey. So evil he's happily allowed the world to be invaded by unspeakably hideous creatures from some little planet out on the spiral rim of the Galaxy, to secure his reign of terror.

Part XXXVIII...

The garlanded and well-swept VIP sleeping quarters of the Lord Hand and Defense Minister and his Lady...

"Tyr? No chance?" Sansa hissed, cuddled against him on a bed which that day had been hastily remodeled...Expanded by combining two normal berths, raised from its usual floor-hugging level and provided with extra furs and relatively sweet-smelling rush-filled cushions, thereby making it just a tad less uncomfortable than the average recruit's bunk.

"Gods no, Sansa." He whispered back, frowning. "Bad enough you spent time with us..."

"Come now, they'd kill me anyway." She shrugged. "I'm your wife, the Dirters believe in equal justice for the sexes."

"Yes, perhaps...But they'd soon realize you knew nothing and not torture you, before they'd kill you or exhibit you in some menagerie on Dirt or one of its gods' forsaken colonies."

"Nothing about...That..." arch low tone.

"Sansa..." reproving tone as she stroked his hair.

"I don't mind risk. I mind not being in your confidence...'In the loop', the Terrans call it."

"I trust you with my life and you probably do know too much already but this affects many others."

"All right, fine..." she turned over.

"Don't sulk." he sighed.

"Not sulking..." she replied, curtly. "I understand..."

He rolled eyes...Sansa Stark, I know that tone.

"...You want to play hero alone and leave me alone, again...Naturally."

"Sansa..." he sighed. "Wait...Isn't that from that Dirter song?"

"It applies..." firm tone, shrug.

"You know if some of my allies heard this, they'd put you down for a Dirter spy, trying to manipulate me." he noted, shrewd nod.

"Damned poor one, given how little you tell me." She rolled back over. "Tyrion, I'm sorry, but I just want to know the summary...This is remarkable, he's remarkable. I'm feeling like we could win." Eager tone.

"So did Stannis, apparently counting on his resurrected status to protect him somehow, even from Dirter weapons. One successful agent implanted among them isn't going to win this." He shook head.

"But it means we're actually making progress...Learning details about them, real intelligence, not what scraps we can overhear." She nudged him. "Gives a girl hope, you know. I just want to know if things are hoppin'."

" 'Hoppin''?" he stared.

"Moving along, coming to fruition, getting started. You don't have to give me details, just a bit of hope." She reached to touch his scarred cheek. "I want to know if there's even a chance my baby will be born into a free world."

"What?" he choked.

"You really shouldn't drink in bed while you read, darling. At least when we're traveling." She sighed at the spilled ale.

"Sansa...?"

Sounds of people running in the hall outside, cries, the occasional clang of metal armor on stone...They eyed each other.