Game of Thrones Tales: Back to the Throne Room... Part XXIII

Summary: There's only one solution when Tyrion and Sansa have found the new King as mad as the Mad Targaryen and cynically evil, once on the throne, as Joffrey. So evil he's happily allowed the world to be invaded by unspeakably hideous creatures from some little planet out on the spiral rim of the Galaxy, to secure his reign of terror.

Part XXIII...

"so Elyse and her spawn had already fled when you arrived...?' the grim stare of Mother Love upon a rather hapless young man who trembled at Mother's implied rebuke...With very good and practical reason, the heads of the latest three executed still hanging in the improvised courtyard of the temporarily pitched tent city of Mother and Her followers. The man under interrogation desperately turning even to the resolutely unwavering face of his superior, Chase, wrapped in his fur and leather cloak, standing beside him, who coldly returned a stare.

"Mother, if I may speak..." Chase, after a rather terrifying, for the younger man, pause. "Royce was under my orders, I sent him. His failure is mine, he did his best."

My new god...Royce stared, hope begin to return....

"I blame no one but myself. I should have had her seized as soon as Tomace turned from the Truth." The woman sighed now. "Fear not, Royce, you may go. But do not fail the People again." Cold stare, hand extended for a brief, if rather groveling kiss. Royce, on nod from Chase, immediately fleeing the Mother's tent for safer pastures...

"It's unfortunate. She will try to spread Tomace's poison. I suspect it was she who helped turn him from me." Mother Love noted.

"Her words won't be heeded by all who believe or can, Mother." Chase, firmly. "But, with your permission, I and a few chosen men and women, will continue to hunt her. We may yet come upon her before she reaches the Wall."

"Yes, very well..." nod. "You're probably right, Chase. Those who see the Truth and know we must return to our native state, all of us who are linked by our connection to the Nature of our individual worlds, will not falter, not here...Not as they did elsewhere."

"We are true, Mother." He said, simply, kneeling now before her chair. "We will never abandon the Truth."

"Others have..." a sigh, care seeping across her face. "Countless times I have brought the Truth to others and they claimed to heed..."

"We are not weak, as they were. We have heeded and we have stayed true." He insisted, some pleading in his voice. "And no others will waver, I promise you."

"Yes. You're happy with the girl, Raynce? She minds you and heeds the Truth?"

"She's as you said, flighty, Mother." He shrugged. "But she minds and she seems devoted to Truth, as much as one of her nature can be."

"I'm sorry if you're hurt, Chase." She regarded him. "But we were growing too close, too publicly, and I can't be seen as an ordinary woman, of ordinary needs. Do you understand?"

"Of course, Mother."

"You haven't called me Agnes in some time." She smiled at him. "You may still do so, you know, when we are alone."

"I felt it best...After you..." he paused.

"I sent you away for the good of the People. We can't allow trivial matters to weaken us or their faith." She explained.

"I understand..." he gave a slight nod, his face yet downcast.

"You saved me, Chase. I will never forget that. When I first came, fleeing my enemies, my followers but few...The Dirters pursuing me even here. I and those who still followed me, across the stars, would have died but for you."