Seeds of Unrest

Jason immediately flipped forwards, leaping for the wall. The robots halted, slashing at him, but he sailed over their heads and landed on the wall, sticking there. Several robots twisted around, looking up, and one swung a bat at his leg. The Urban Spider kicked in the face and the robot's head was ripped off. Its headless body went sailing backwards, crashing into several of its fellows.

Jason looked forward. More robots were swarming around the group. Scarab and Salamander were standing on either side of Midnight, who was huddled in a ball and typing furiously on his phone. Scarab raised her arms, protecting herself as robots beat against them. She then swung her arms, slapping numerous 'bots aside before grabbing another and crushing its head. Scarab tossed the remains of the robot into the horde, knocking robots over like bowling pins.

Salamander, meanwhile, was backing up, her cheeks puckered. Ready to unleash flame. But one robot lunged and grabbed her arm. Salamander yelped, spitting out a torrent of smoke. The robot threw her to the ground and raised its pipe over her head.

Jason was about to lunge. But Photon, who had been hidden behind Scarab, fired an energy blast. The blast slammed into the robot, knocking it away. Another robot swung its shovel down at Salamander head but she rolled aside and the shovel clanged down where she had just been. She scrambled backward, ducking another robot's swing.

"Photon!" She yelled. "Get in the air! Lay down some fucking scorched earth!

"Oh, um, right!" Photon cried. He nodded and zipped off the ground, floating over the swarm. Robots raised their heads, some halting their advance. Photon opened fire, firing duel energy blasts from both hands. The blasts sent robots flying and one went sailing across the room, crashing head first into the wall and smashing open its head. Sparks sizzling, it crashed down on top of the horde, numerous robots falling over. Photon fired on the downed ones and several of them exploded.

Jason raised his hand instinctively at the explosion. Chunks of the robots sailed past him, one piece bouncing off his arm. The Urban Spider gritted his teeth, his ears ringing from the loud blast. Bit overkill but it worked.

There was a series of clangings beneath him. Jason looked down. Robots were swiping wildly at him, their weapons just out of range. One robot was clawing at the wall, trying to clamber up and get him. The Urban Spider watched the machines then got an idea. He pushed off the wall, landing behind the group of 'bots.

Jason spun around, sweeping his legs, kicking one robot over. He grabbed it and yanked it back, the others robots twisting around. The Urban Spider raised the robot in his grasp like a shield. The other 'bots charged and swung. Their weapons slammed into the Urban Spider's improvised shield instead. A pipe caved in a chunk of the robot's head, a baseball bat smashed down on its arm, and a shovel rammed into its chest.

Jason's arms trembled from the impact of the blows but he held against them. He hurled the robot as hard as it could. The robot went crashing through the attackers, knocking one 'bot over and slamming into two others, putting them off balance.

The Urban Spider grabbed the staggering robot's heads and smashed them together. They splintered into chunks and twitched wildly before they stopped moving. Jason tossed them away and grabbed the third robot's head. He tore it off, tucked it under one arm, and punted the final robot's neck. He severed its neck with the blow, decapitating the thing.

The Urban Spider twisted about. His side of the room was pretty much clear but a large number of robots were still coming from the other end. Destroyed 'bots lay all around Scarab, as she continued to slap or punch away any that came near. Salamander was barking orders and sucked in another gulp of air as two robots approaching her. Photon was circling overhead, firing on robots. Midnight continued to type away, his fingers moving a mile a minute. Jason had no idea what he was doing but he was sure it was useful, somehow.