Spider's Kiss

The roar of helicopters boomed overhead. Jacqueline's grip loosened and she turned her head to the side. In that brief instant, Jason kicked out and struck her arm. The force knock him loose and he fell from the woman's grasp, splashing into the shallow surf. The salt stung his stab wound but he ignored it, crawling backwards through the water. Jacqueline spun around, screaming, and her gatling gun raised. But at that moment, gunfire erupted from the sky, bullets slamming into her. Jacqueline staggered back under the hail of the attack, her wings raising to protect herself.

Jason looked up and saw multiple military helicopters diving toward Alcatraz, their searchlights frisking over the beach. Incisor and Scream looked up too, Scream raising one arm against the bright light.

"Kill them!" Incisor roared, raising a finger. But as he did, one of Audrey's arms burst from the water, slamming into his side. The elephant-man stumbled, bellowing, before the beetle girl burst from the surf. Coughing, she rammed herself into Incisor's backside, her huge arms snaking around his throat. Incisor roared, struggling to throw her off, the two illuminated in a helicopter's searchlight.

Scream opened her mouth and let out a sonic wail, directed at the nearest chopper. The helicopter's windows exploded into a fountain of glass, the chopper spinning out of control to the side. It rammed hard into one of its fellow vehicles, their rotor's slamming into each other and slicing apart into a rain of shrapnel. Both helicopters plummeted into San Francisco Bay, slamming hard into the water.

"NO!" Jason screamed. Scream turned around. Before she could unleash another sonic wail, Jason sprang at her. He rammed his elbow into her chest and broke several of her ribs. Scream's wail died in her throat and the two of slammed into the surf, Jason on top of her.

Scream flailed her single arm at him, bouncing off his chest harmlessly. Jason seized her neck and squeezed, choking the girl. "STOP HURTING PEOPLE!" He howled in face, waves lapping at his legs as she struggled to get loose, not having much luck with one arm. "STOP IT! STOP IT, STOP IT, STOP!" One the final stop it, he slammed a fist into Scream's jaw. A crack went through the air, like a bullwhip, and Scream's jaw snapped in two with a spray of blood. She stopped thrashing and Jason lifted her over his head. With a final yell, he hurled her and Scream went spinning off through the air before she fell and crashed into the waters below. A wave slammed into her unmoving body, dragging her under and she vanished from sight.

Jason paused, his heart hammering in his chest. He stared at the water for a moment, his mind twitching, surprised by his own burst of sudden rage. But he was ripped out of his delirium by a roar from behind him. He twisted and saw Jacqueline's thrusters activate, before she flew off through the air, fleeing from the helicopters upward toward Alcatraz's abandoned prison at the top of the cliffs.

Jason cursed, realizing she was going for higher ground. He was about to chase after but then remembered: Audrey. He spun around, splashing in the shallow bay, and faced back to Audrey fight Incisor.

Incisor had managed to throw Audrey off and the two faced off, fists raised. Incisor bared his massive teeth at her, ears flapping, trunk swinging from side to side. The helicopters continued to hover above the two but didn't open fire, thank god.

"You've got friends I see," Incisor snarled as his huge fingers curled around his machine gun. "They don't matter though. Because you're still here. They won't engage in friendly fire with you right next to me. Which means I can snap your neck and get Wormhole to portal me to a more effective position before you even hit the ground, bug. Now come on. You took my eye..." His single eye, bloodshot, narrowed into a dark slit. "...For that, I'll take not just your life but the lives of all of your teammates. And I promise I'll make it hurt."