Hunted

Jason ran down the hallway, panting hard, nearly stumbling as he raced down the hallway. He could heard the clomping feet of his pursuers behind him, sounding like they were getting closer. The whole world became a blur as Jason pushed himself to run harder, his arm burning, his heart pounding in his ears.

Then he saw a white door ahead. The medical ward! He flung himself at it but his feet slipped from under him. He tripped forward, letting out a yell. Both of his arms shot out reflexively and slammed against the floor, breaking his fall. But a spasm of pain went through his wounded arm and Jason screamed. His arms gave way like jelly and he collapsed.

Jason gasped hard, looking up. The doorway was mere inches away. He grabbed the edge of the carpeted floor, gasping, sputtering, dragging himself forward. He heard footsteps behind him. Jason growled and kicked out, pushing himself up. He half-ran, half-stumbled to the medical door and grabbed the doorknob. He ripped open the door and flung himself inside. Jason turned around and caught a brief glimpse of the soldiers rounding the end of the corridor before he slammed the door shut. He locked it for good measure.

He stumbled backward, breathing hard. Oh god. Oh fuck. Audrey. Audrey...he had just abandoned her. What if she was dead right now? Oh god. Oh dear lord. He rubbed one hand across his face, panting, feeling like he might choke. He should go back out there. But those men were there. And...and shit. They'd be coming in here. A locked door wasn't going to stop them. Fuck, fuck, fuck. Fuck!

He turned around, staggering forward. He stumbled into the waiting area of the medical ward. Multiple couches were placed around the room, a front desk at the other end. A door stood behind the desk, leading into the medical facilities themselves and treatment rooms. Jason was familiar with them. He'd been there many times.

He had to get help. The nurses, doctors, Robertson...they had to be here. He needed help. Had to hurry. They were coming. He moved forward, grabbing his wound, hissing as his fingers touched it. He moved toward the next door, walking past the desk. But as he did, a finger suddenly poped out from behind the desk.

Jason jumped back, raising a fist. He saw a security guard behind the desk, aiming a pistol at him. The guard blinked and lowered the gun. "Its you!" He flicked the safety on. "I'm so sorry. I didn't see who it was and I assumed-"

"Its alright, its alright!" Jason said quickly, interrupting the guy. Two other people rose from behind the desk, moving behind the guard. They were nurses and both looked absolutely terrified. "Listen-they're coming...I barely escaped them but they were right behind me and-"

There was a loud boom. The nurses screamed, ducking behind the desk. The guard aimed his gun past Jason and Jason looked over his shoulder, his ears ringing from the loud blast. A hole was blown through the top of the exit door of the medical ward. Jason heard another noise, muffled slightly behind the door. He recognized it. A shotgun. Oh shit. They were breaching the ward.

He turned around. Pointed at the door leading further into the wards. "Run!" He screamed. "I'll take care of them!" The guard nodded, not questioning him. He holstered his pistol, grabbed both of the nurses's arms, and dragged them to the door. It opened automatically and they vanished through, the doors closing behind them.

Another shotgun blast boomed. Jason flinched. He looked around, his eyes going to the ceiling. He tensed and leaped, spinning upside down in midair. His good hand stuck to the ceiling, while his injured arm dangled from his side. Jason raised his wounded limb, pressing his palm against the ceiling as well. But his fingers trembled from the pain of his wound and slipped off the ceiling. Great. Only one arm was keeping him up then. He gritted his teeth and looked down, his good arm starting to hurt from supporting his body alone.