Metal Devil

Jason caught up to the others halfway down the stairs. Laureen glanced up at him as he ran behind them and gave him a curt nod. Jason didn't return the gesture and they all hurried onward.

They reached the landing. Jason noticed the door was kicked open, bullet shells coated the floor, while bullet holes were torn through the walls. Laureen raised a hand and they all halted. She glanced through the open door. Jason listened but didn't hear anything. Laureen didn't appear to see anything either as she relaxed and stood up straight.

"Okay," She muttered. "Coast looks clear. James, check ahead on the lower landing before we go down."

"On it!" James said quickly, raising his phone and typing away. Only a second later, he sputtered, "Uh oh this is bad there's a group exactly three soldiers enemy soldiers did I need to specify that probably not they're coming up the stairs toward us!"

"What?" Jason hissed. James held up the phone for all of them. Sure enough, he was right. On the screen it displayed a blurry image of three soldiers climbing the staircase, their guns trained before them. The ones in front were carrying regular assault rifles, while the third one moved a bit back behind the two, carrying a riot shield.

Jason poked his head over the railing. Below, he caught a glimpse the three figures moving up the staircase, practically silent as they climbed upward. He looked back at the others and whispered, "Uh...yeah. They're right below us."

Laureen cursed. James swallowed and thankfully stayed quiet. Max grimaced but other than that didn't react much. Laureen crouched down and pointed low. "How close?"

"Uh...not far off, I'd say," Jason whispered. "Plan?"

Laureen grinded her teeth together. Then she stood pointed at the stairwell. "Okay. I'm going to move over the railing and blast those assholes with a burst of smoke. Jason, you go in and beat the shit out of them. Take them down fucking fast." Jason nodded. Laureen turned to the other two. "James, hang back and watch the security feed. Shout if any other assholes come upon us." James saluted her. "And Max-" Laureen hesitated.

"Why are you even talking to me?" Max growled. He pointed downward. "They're coming. Don't waste time with me, you know I'm useless."

Laureen sighed. She turned to Jason. "Okay. Ready?"

Jason cracked his knuckles. "Yeah. Let's hit them."

Laureen poked her head over the stairweel, inhaling. But one of the soldier looked up and cried a warning. Another took a shot at her. Jason tackled her to the floor, the shot rebounding off the railing. The footsteps of the soldiers echoed on the stairs.

Laureen sucked in her breath. Jason moved to meet them but she raised a hand and he stopped. Moments later, the soldiers burst onto their landing. James screamed.

But Laureen unleashed a burst of flame, hitting the lead soldier and setting his uniform on fire. The soldier screamed, staggering back and slamming into the one behind him. Jason lunged forward, decking the burning soldier. The man was knocked over the railing and plummeted out of sight, still screaming.

The second soldier raised his gun. Jason grabbed it, slamming the rifle against wall. It went off, a burst of gunfire narrowly missing Jason's side. The soldier released the gun, the sudden release caused Jason to fall backward. He dropped the gun, catching himself with one hand.

The soldier drew his sidearm, the riot soldier behind him hanging back. Jason kicked the soldier, sending him toppling backward into the riot shield. He bounced off it and smashed face first into the stairs. Jason somersaulted back to the top of the stairs.