Young Love

Jason hurled himself across the courtyard, nearly tripping over the slick grass. But he didn't care and kept running, oblivious to the world around him. For in front of him, on a stretcher, writhing about, was Audrey.

The beetle girl yelled and raised one arm, ripping through her restraints. The momentum of her arm caused the gurney she was on to topple over, sending the large insect girl spilling onto the grass. She gasped, raising her head, clutching dirt beneath her mammoth hands. Her shell opened, wings spasming and kicking up bursts of wind. The soldiers lingering near her turned and quickly staggered back.

Jason jumped between them and landed on his knees next to the beetle girl. He placed a gloved hand on her cheek and say, loudly but gently, "Hey hey hey! Easy, easy, easy! Its okay...Audrey...its okay." His voice cracked as he felt himself starting to cry, out of sheer joy she was awake. "You're...you're okay..."

Audrey looking up at him, breathing hard as she propped herself up with one exoskeletal elbow. Gasping, her pretty eyes flicked around for several moments, antennae bobbing up and down, before her pupils came into focus. She raised a finger across her bruised and battered face, before looking down at her bandaged chest. Slowly, she began to relax, Jason feel the tension in her face falling ever so slightly with each new breath. Her breaths still sounded...bad, shallow and harsh but at least she was awake.

"Jason...?" She whispered, coughing, pushing herself toward him. Jason smiled at her, their faces inches apart as he clasped one of her giant fingers. She looked around, antennae waving about as she took in her surroundings. "Where are we...? Its...its so beautiful here."

"San Francisco," Jason replied with a sigh. "You've been out almost a day. A lot has, uh, happened. We went to a military base, we got their cooperation, Jacqueline issued a threat saying she's going to an attack San Francisco, we came here, we issued our own threat back to her, and now...now we're on Alcatraz." He laughed nervously, patting the ground. "We're waiting of Jacqueline to show up and fight her, alongside the military."

"Whoa..." Audrey said, blinking. "Whoa..." She exhaled sharply, wincing. "Oof...that's...gosh...that's a lot to take in. Ugh..." She closed her eyes. Jason clasped her finger tighter. "My chest hurts...my everything hurts."

"Yeah, you got punched by that fucking elephant," Jason growled angrily, eyes narrowing. "Really hard. So hard I didn't know if you would wake up...but...I'm glad you did. And somehow, I knew you would. You're tough, Audrey. Really tough."

Audrey smiled back at her and that look on her made Jason's heart practically dance. She grunted and pushed herself to her feet, dirt falling off her massive body. Jason stood as well, in tandem with her movements, slowly slipping off her finger. She looked around, eyes lighting up at her surroundings.

"So this is Alcatraz," She said, looking down at the soldiers. She raised a massive hand at them and they nodded back at her. "More pretty than I thought...wow! You really did get the military people on our side."

Jason turned to them and smirked. "Eh, it wasn't all me. Much of it wasn't me. Max did most of the talking, which makes sense. He's a military guy himself, so he speaks their language."

Audrey smiled, nodding slowly. "Right...right...good on him then. Are the others around?"

"Yeah, they're back there," Jason pointed a thumb at the helicopter blocking their path. "Near the cliffs, uh, over there. I uh..." He felt his cheeks turn hot from embarrassment and looked away from her, running his fingers through his hair. "I uh...when I heard you yell...I came running...left them behind."

"You did?" Audrey giggled. It was a weirdly girlish, happy noise coming from her. It made Jason's heart flutter even more and his body turn hotter. He laughed.