...Need Not End

Epilogue

So we come at last to the end. Or rather, the beginning. The heroes began new lives, emerging stronger from the cataclysmic events that had nearly torn them apart. Some began solo journeys, while the others stayed together and formed a new Metahuman Agency.

In the aftermath, the world was changed. Time will tell if it is for the better or worse. But a new age was born thanks to the Metahuman Agency and their foes. This age had been building for sometime but now, the floodgates were opened. Metahumans began popping up all over the globe, inspired either by the Agency or their enemies. It took sometime for the change to fully register but when it did, it was unable to deny the old world had been swept away.

For this age would be called the Age of Miracles. And the Agency would be at its center, all six of them having helped shape it in their own way...

Max Delgado / Tuatara

Max stood alone under the early morning light. He was dressed in a green leather jacket, jeans, and a simple shirt. He had been watching the sun rise, having been unable to sleep. He was nervous about the conversation he'd been having today and his disturbed thoughts had kept him awake all night. Strangely, he didn't feel especially tired. More...energized. He didn't know if that was good or bad.

He resisted the urge to scratch at his eyepatch. It was easier said than done. His damaged eye often burned without warning, sometimes so intense he felt like Akihiro's knife was stabbing him again. But whereas before the pain of it (among other things) had thrust him into a depressed, moody state, now he was learning to cope with it. He had to, because he was going to live with it for the rest of his life.

My life... Max thought, shaking his head. What do I do with it now? I know I want to take time off, figure things out...but what's he gonna say? All my life I've been trying to impress him. I've gotten over that, but only recently...what's he gonna think?

Max closed his single eye. He was nervous, but it felt...good admitting that. He'd held himself in check for far too long, trying to be the stern leader his father had been, trying to copy him to impress him, even in the unusual circumstances he had found himself in through the Agency. But that role wasn't his to bear anymore. Laureen was a better leader than him and the Agency's was now hers to lead. It was time he discovered who 'Max' was, to find himself after finally shedding the role he had adopted for so long.

He suddenly heard the soft clink of boots behind him. Max opened his eye and took a long breath inward. He slowly turned, his long, uncut hair blowing in the early morning's breeze as he faced the man coming toward him.

It was his father, Colonel Martin Delgado. His father was leaning on a cane, limping quite noticeably as he exited the base behind him. He was wearing his usual uniform and seemed to have shaved recently. Max scanned his father with his single eye, noting all much as could. Something appeared to be clutched in his father's other hand, by the way he was holding it to his side.

Colonel Delgado stopped in front of Max. Max looked at his father, staring into the man's brown eyes. This was the first time he had seen him since Chicago, since Akihiro had kidnapped his father and stabbed him in the leg. He looked...good, all things considered but Max wasn't sure to say.

His father ended up breaking the silence between them. "Hello Max," He said, leaning heavily on his cane.

"Sir," Max said, keeping his tone neutral, still unsure what to say. His eye flicked to the colonel's leg. "How's your leg?"

"Mmm," Martin looked at it too. His lips twitched. "Hurts like hell. Keeps me away from what I should be doing, confined to a desk. But all things considered, I came out alright and it's...healing, slowly but surely." He looked back at Max, right in his single eye. "I...I'm sorry about your own injury."