Screams Amidst the Fire

Incisor charged right at Jason, gleaming tusks ready to ram into him and tear him apart. Jason waited until the last possible second. Then he jumped and sailed over the elephant man's head. Jason flipped in midair, landing on his feet behind Incisor. He managed not to crouch, the impact of which doubtlessly would've been hell on his bleeding arms.

Incisor, unable to stop his charge, stamped past Audrey's prone form. He crashed headlong into a bookstore, plowing through the front doors and careening inside. His huge form tore through the overhead wall, bricks and debris falling as they gave was, chunks of the stuff raining down on the sidewalk.

Jason ran to Audrey's side with the momentary respite and knelt next to her. She coughed, her groggy eyes looking up at him. Gritting her teeth, she pressed her elbows against the street and pushed herself upward. Jason raised a hand, about to protest, but Audrey gave him a look. Jason blinked, nothing but air exiting his mouth. He then snapped it shut, as Audrey managed to stand, blood continuing to trickle down her abdomen and splatter against the ground.

A roar echoed from behind them. Jason looked up and Incisor burst out of the smashed storefront in a cloud of dust, crushing glass and what remain of the splintered doors beneath his titanic feet. In one hand, he was holding a man, a poor guy wearing a clerk's uniform, who was screaming and struggling in the elephant man's grasp.

Jason and Audrey froze. Shit, Jason cursed. He found a hostage. Incisor's eyes glared at them before his leathery, inhuman lips twisted into something resembling a smile. It looked particularly disturbing on his horrible face.

"Catch." Incisor rumbled before he hurled the man like a baseball. The poor guy went sailing into the sky, screaming as he began to arch downward to splatter against the pavement.

Audrey streaked upward, zooming to catch the falling man. Jason twisted and saw Incisor's fist swinging down at him. He jumped, leaping sideways as Incisor's blow rammed past him and slammed against the street, punching through the concrete.

Jason sailed backward, landing on the roof of a car. Incisor twisted toward him, ripping his fist out of the pulverized chunk of the ground. Behind him, several in the air, Jason saw Audrey buzzing downward, the man clutched in her arms. He breathed a sigh of relief.

"Was that your best shot?" Jason yelled at the elephant man. He laughed. "You missed."

Incisor didn't answer his taunt. He just charged Jason again, hurling himself at the Urban Spider. Jason backflipped off the car, right before Incisor's tusks rammed through it. They smashed the windshield, skewering the vehicle like a shish kebab. The car's alarm went off, blaring loudly as its lights flashed.

Incisor yanked up his head, pulling the car upward with him. Jason skittered backward, avoiding falling glass and pieces of the vehicle. Incisor roared, before tossing his head violently. The car was ripped off his tusks and went spinning at Jason.

Jason dove aside again, barely avoiding the car as it smashed on its axis where he had just been. The impact cut off the alarm with a screeching whine and it was carried off along the street, bouncing and rolling toward the remnants of the police barricade.

Incisor flung himself at Jason as the Urban Spider rose. One hand slapped at him and Jason ducked, feeling the force of the wind whoosh past as the enormous limb sailed inches over his head. He dove through the giant's legs, Incisor bellowing in rage. Jason ran as fast as he could, feeling the ground shake as the elephant man stomped after him.

Jason scurried across the street, feel his heart pounding in his ears as the ground quaked. Gasping, he vaulted over a pair of cars, hitting the sidewalk in front of the burning building once more. He spun around, just in time to witness Incisor smashed through the pair of cars. The elephant man sent them spinning aside like toys, the vehicles flying skyward. One crashed through the side of another building, chunks of rubble exploding as it smashed through.