Bombs, Bullets, and Bodies

Jason carried the kid downstairs, stepping over the crumpled, broken bodies of the Skeleton Crew mercenaries. The child averted his gaze as he held onto Jason, gripping onto the Urban Spider as if he would be blown away if he let go. Jason was quiet as he walked through the carnage, choosing not to acknowledge the bodies as to avoid upsetting the boy further.

Soon, they reached the lobby and Jason moved through the debris laden landing, stepping over hunks of the collapsed ceiling. He emerged outside and saw a small crowd before him.

It was the civilians they had rescued from the third floor. Some of them were stooped over and coughing while the rest seemed to have recovered from Laureen's smoke blast. They looked out at the city, all displaying various states of shock: shaking their heads, whispering incoherently, or just staring blankly ahead. One woman turned around and her face lit up at the sight of them.

"Danny!" She cried, running forward.

"Mommy!" The boy squealed, releasing Jason and stretching his arms out to her. The woman grabbed him and pulled him into a hug. The two embraced, the woman crying as she rank to her knees.

"I'm so sorry Danny..." She sputtered in between sobs, running a hand through his hair. "Mommy will never leave you again...never again..." She then look up, seeming to see Jason for the first time.

Jason smiled down at her. She said weakly, "T-thank y-you..."

"No problem," Jason flashed her a thumbs up. "Just doing my job, I guess. He's going to be alright."

The boy, Danny, turned his head and looked up at him as tears ran down his own trembling face. He stared silently at Jason, eyes wide. His mom rose to her feet. She reached out a hand and grabbed Jason's own, squeezing it gently, yet firmly. Jason stiffened at the unexpected contact but didn't pull away.

"Thank you," She whispered, a smile forcing itself on her face. She gripped his hand tightly as she said that. "Thank you so much."

Jason stared at her. He was quiet, unsure of what to say. But as he stared at the woman and the kid, he realized something. He'd saved them. He and his friends. People were dead, some they couldn't save, but they'd managed to save these people and several others. They were making a difference, right now. He smiled back.

"Like I said..." He said, placing his other hand on the woman's. "Its what we do."

"Who are you?" The woman asked, swallowing hard, sniffling slightly as she clutched her child close.

"He's a superhero, mommy..." Danny replied quietly. "I saw him on TV. He's like Spider-Man."

Jason nodded. "That's right. I'm the Urban Spider of..." He paused. But he forced out the words. They were important for these people to hear. "Of the Metahuman Agency. We saved Washington. We saved Colorado. We saved Chicago. And we're gonna save this city too. Don't worry."

The woman nodded slowly, Jason feel her hand trembling as she held him. She stared at him for a long moment before finally pulling away. She smiled at him and stepped back into the crowd. "Thank you..." She whispered again. "Thank you."

Someone whistled loudly. Jason turned and saw his teammates nearby. Hiroshi was leaning against the wall, arms tensed, his masked face watching the street like a hawk. Laureen stood next to him, leaning down next to...

Jason swallowed, his throat going dry.

Next to Audrey.

Audrey lay slumped against the wall, one hand covering her wounds. Blood was splattered across her abdomen, trickling down to the ground. She was drawing in pained breaths, which sounded ragged and forced. Her face was paler, her antennae drooped and unmoving. Her face looked groggy, her eyes blinking repeatedly as she looked at Laureen in front of her.