Through the Woods

Jason slowly staggered up the grassy slope, ducking under low hanging branches and other bits of foliage. With the adrenaline wearing off, his entire body was hurting. His arm where he had been grazed was aching badly, while his head was swimming and his legs were practically screaming in protest with each step. But he ignored all of it, continuing to stumble through the trees, unsure of where he was going but moving forward nonetheless.

James was walking in front of him. He had been sniffling for a while now, sounding on the verge of tears but not exactly crying. His sobs were starting to piss Jason off rightly. He hadn't shed a tear for any of the people killed in the attack. Not the staff, not Robertson, nobody, but now James was breaking down cause he had to blow up his damn car? Jason gritted his teeth angrily as he stepped over a boulder. Now that was asshole behavior.

James suddenly halted and turned to Jason. Jason couldn't make out his face in the darkness, so he switched on his night vision. The forest was immediately illuminated before him. Now he could see James's face was streaked with tears, his cracked glasses halfway down his nose.

James swallowed, wiping his nose with his sleeve. He gulped and sputtered out, "J-jason I'm t-truly sorry but can we sit just for a moment I don't feel well not at all I just feel terribly sick not motion sickness either I'm sure I'm t-terribly sorry I..."

Jason folded his arms. He shook his head. "Really broken up about your car, huh?" He hissed, barely keeping the venom out of his voice.

James nodded vigorously. His glasses fell off and landed in the grass at his feet. He quickly reached down, snatching them up and put them back on. "Yes I am oh goodness I know it seems awfully stupid Jason but I put so much work into that vehicle designed it from scratch put so much work into maintaining and...and...well I'm sure you can understand how yes I saw it blow up before my eyes a necessary venture it was wrecked anyway triggering the self-destruct was necessary it was necessarynecessaryn-" James's words descended into gibberish again, as he began to shake and gripped his curly hair feverishly.

Jason rolled his eyes and cut the guy off. "Yeah. I got it." He waved his hand at the tree. "Sure, rest, whatever." James swallowed, nodding and his hands dropped to his sides. He collapsed in front of the tree and fell back against it, occasionally muttering to himself.

Jason glared at him before planting himself on a nearby boulder. He snapped off a branch hanging near him and snapped it in half angrily. He then squeezed the two halves, grinding them to pieces in his hands. He opened his hands, the splinters of wood falling to the ground.

James continued to sniffle slightly. Jason's eyes narrowed deeper into slits. Look at him. Still crying over his damn car. Asshole. He snatched another low hanging stick and broke this one into smaller pieces before throwing it away. He's always been excited about his machines but I really didn't think he lacked empathy for others. He freaked out Laureen and Max getting hurted. So why not now? This is ten times as worse. People are dead, we're on the run, and our base has been overrun. Not to mention the group's separated. Hiroshi and Audrey could be dead! And he's still crying over his stupid car. Fucking dick.

After a few minutes of sitting there, Jason rose. He grunted at James, "Okay. Let's move." James stared up at, wiping his nose again. He got up and quietly gestured for Jason to take the lead.

Jason started to move. Then he stopped. "Actually..." He chuckled humorlessly. "I have no idea where we're going."

"Well uh the nearest towns are several m-miles outside of the forest I believe they're names are Freetown naturally and um Lakeville yes I do believe that's correct although I don't have much to cross-reference against to check if its true actually I don't have much at all," James sputtered through sniffles.