Food Run

Jason and Laureen had been driving around for some hours, the sun now high in the sky. The backwoods roads they had been trekking around in all looked the same to Jason and without a map or James, they had no sense of direction. The truck also unfortunately lacked a GPS, so that was out too. And despite Laureen's assurances that she would find them food 'if it was the last fucking thing she'd do', they hadn't found jack.

Jason lowered his poncho's hood as he rolled down the window and stuck his head out. He sighed as he felt the cool breeze on his face. He closed his eyes, letting the winds caress his sweaty face for sometime before pulling his head back in. The Urban Spider left the window open and leaned back in his seat, turning to Laureen.

Her eyes were locked on the road but she looked increasingly tired. Jason noticed her stifle a yawn and her eyes blinked. She grumbled as she turned a corner and pointed out the window.

"I think we passed that tree twice," She said grumpily. "Of course, everything looks the same around here so I can't goddamn tell. God, I hate the country. It's so dull and if you ain't a local, it might as well be a fucking maze."

Jason nodded in agreement. "Yeah." He rubbed his chin. "Something about being surrounded by trees just sets me off. I prefer cities."

Laureen snorted. "Well, no shit. You picked the name 'Urban Spider', after all. Kinda marks you as being based around a theme, eh?"

Jason smirked. He pushed himself further up. "Not as obvious as 'Salamander', though."

"Hey, Salamander is a badass fucking name, shithead," Laureen retorted, cracking a good natured smile. They came to the end of the road they had been driving along on, facing a fork. Laureen stopped the truck. "You're just jealous you didn't think of it first."

Jason laughed. "Sure, keep telling yourself that." He pushed himself up in the seat and glanced at the fork in the road. "So...uh...where are we going?"

"Hell if I know," Laureen said with a shrug. "We've been driving in circles for forever, man. I felt confident we could find something but we're smack dab in the middle of nowhere and we ain't found shit to help us out."

Jason sighed. He stared at the fork in the road, trying to see any hidden signs or clues to which path might lead them toward food. But his thoughts were interrupted by a stab of pain from his belly. He moaned and massaged it, trying in vain to subdue his hanger pangs. He'd been getting them for the past hour or so and they'd only been getting worse.

Laureen looked at him, his growling stomach filling the truck. Jason smiled awkwardly, continug to rub his stomach.

"...Sorry. Just hungry, as you probably can tell."

"Yeah, I'm hungry too," Laureen grunted. "Although probably not as bad as you, dumbass, 'cause you didn't grab any rations or even a drink before we left."

"Eat that shit?" Jason made a retching noise. He shook his head. "Hell no! I'd rather starve."

"Well good news, buddy, now you're gonna. Nobody's fault but yours."

Jason rolled his eyes. Laureen laughed before turning back to the road. Her eyes flicked between the different paths as she tried to make a decision.

"Would it kill them to put a sign up here?" She muttered, tapping her fingers against the steering wheel. Jason watched her, his hunger fading away for the moment. He let his hands slide off his stomach.

Laureen shook her head. "Ah, fuck it." She drove forward and turned left. Jason pushed himself up and looked out the window, watching the other path.