Outmatched, Outgunned

Audrey flew up the stairwell, finally coming to a landing. She suddenly paused, hovering in midair. Jason looked forward. The door before them was labeled "thirty nine". A floor below their own quarters. He looked at Audrey and said, "Um...one floor up?"

Audrey shook her head. "Listen."

Jason listened. He didn't hear anything at first. Then his skin prickled as heard a distant noise. Gunfire. Muffled but he could tell what it was. It sounded like it was coming through the door they were currently hovering in front of.

"Ah shit," Jason growled. "Those people...whoever they are...they've already gotten in."

Audrey nodded. She hovered closer to the door and slowly lowered Jason to the floor. Jason stumbled out of her arms, gripping his wounded arm. "Hey," He said. "What are you going?"

Audrey swallowed. "We have to stop them. There's people in there. People who they might kill. We have to stop them." She took a step forward. The muffled gunfire continued.

Jason stepped in her path. "Wait, wait hang on." He raised his good arm. "I don't disagree but just us? We need to get the others. Get our equipment. Plus..." He pointed at his wound. "I got shot. I'm not exactly in tip top shape. Let's go to the room first and-"

Audrey gently prodded him aside with one of her massive fingers. "I'm sorry. No. I can't. Can't wait." She strode forward and ripped open the door, ducking and squeezing through, moving into the floor.

Jason stared after her. He looked up. Just another floor and he could make it to the others. But...he looked back. Audrey was going to face those men alone. She was strong, tough, but she wasn't invincible. And she was right. The staff members, doctors, security guards, all the people who had supported them were in danger. Plus...the medical ward was on this floor. Yet...he was hurt. He didn't have his costume nor his gadgets. He was going against those soldier guys, who had guns. What was he...what was supposed to-

Then he heard more gunfire. And a far off scream. He gritted his teeth, grinding them together. He looked at the stairs going up. He looked at his bleeding arm, dried blood slithering down his arm like snakes. Jason cursed "FUCK!" and kicked the railing. God, this was gonna suck. But his choice was made. In fact...there was no choice at all.

Jason charged down the hallway after Audrey, running as fast as his legs could carry him.

He ran down the narrow hallway. Audrey was at the end of it, hunched over slightly, looking left and right as the hall diverged. Jason stopped beside her and nodded. Audrey smiled down at him. She licked her lips, her antennae twitching before looking left. Jason looked, staring down the twisting hallway, multiple doors lining it. Jason recognized the hallway. The medical ward wasn't far from here.

He heard gunfire. Closer. Louder. Coming from somewhere down the hallway. Audrey instantly trudged forward, moving as quickly as she could, which unfortunately wasn't very fast. Jason jogged a little ahead of her, pressing his hand against his bullet wound. It hurt but he endured it. Not much else he could do anyway.

They moved quietly down the hallway. As they did, one of doors suddenly opened and a janitor burst out. She was wielding a bucket and with a wild scream, threw it at Jason. He ducked, the bucket flying over his head, and it smashed against Audrey's chest, shattering into several pieces. The janitor blinked, breathing hard, her face red. She stared at them for a moment before her knees buckled and she collapsed onto the floor.

"Oh god..." She sounded almost like she was choking. She rubbed her hair and looked up at Jason, tears beginning to well in her eyes. "I thought...oh god I'm...I'm so sorry...I thought you were them." Her lips trembled and she gripped her face, trembling.