Run Or Die

Director Prescott switched off the PA intercom. She stood over the console for a moment, registering what she had just done. An evacuation. She had told everyone they had lost and to flee for their lives. Never, ever, had she expected to say those words. But life, it seemed, loved to throw curveballs at her. She'd been good about controlling those curveballs but not this time. This time, the twist off the beaten path was too big even for her.

She had seen the chaos continue to unfold. Security guards, employees, even goddamn janitors being ruthlessly gunned down by the invading forces. The metahuman team entering the fray should've turned the tide but the Director could see they were outmatched. With Audrey missing and the team barely surviving their several brawls throughout the base, even they couldn't turn the tide of this invasion.

So she had made a decision. There would be no more deaths fighting a losing battle. She had made the annoucement, ordering everyone to evacuate the base. The decision must have sounded easy coming from her lips. She sounded so stoic, so remarkably calm when giving the order. But it wasn't. Far from it.

All she had worked for was being torn down around her eyes. People she had known for years, people who had helped her build this base, supported the Agency from its inception were being snuffed out, murdered by the enemy. It was like living inside a nightmare, a hellish one from which there was no escape. The Director stared at the mass of monitors and her lips trembled.

She had done all this. The bitch...the Director had underestimated her. How far she would go. Never had she suspected she could amass this, an army, an army willing to attack a major military base on American soil. Never had she imagined her sister would recruit metahumans and set them loose to tear through her own facility.

The Director clutched her fists tight. She should have imagined it. She should have prepared for this. But...but she hadn't. She had been focusing on what she thought had been the real threats, the rogue metahumans popping up. Now she was paying for her incompetence and seeing all she had the built torn down. And dozens of innocent people being slaughtered because of her ignorance. This was on her. Their deaths were on her hands. They had trusted her and in this moment, she had failed them. She only prayed they would listen to the order and be able to escape.

"Ma'am?" A technician said, cutting through her thoughts. The Director looked at her, shaking herself out of her delirium. The technician hurridely waved his hand at one of the monitors. "Mercenaries have penentrated the floor directly below us. They'll likely be here soon."

"Yes..." The Director sucked in her breath. "Get to your evacuation routes."

The technicians looked at each other. Another one spoke up. "Not without you, ma'am."

The Director looked at her. No. Don't do this. Don't be loyal to me now, not over your damn lives. "That wasn't a request," She said, raising her voice. "Go. Now. I'm staying to make sure everyone gets out."

"Alone?" Another technician shook his head. "Ma'am, this is a multi-person job. You'll never oversee the evacuation process by yourself."

"We're staying," A third technician say adamantly. The rest nodded. "We're not abandoing you, Director. Not until you leave as well."

Director Prescott looked at all of them, narrowing her eyes. She was touched but this was blind stupidity on their parts. "That was an order. If you all stay-"

"-We could be killed," The first technician finished the sentence. He smirked. "You don't sign up for this sort of work without risk. All due respect, ma'am, we're staying. Whether you like it or not."

The technicians turned back to their stations, continuing their duties. The Director was tempted to yell at them, to scream at them to run. But she knew that wouldn't work. For better or worse, they weren't going to abandon her. She sighed and muttered, "...Thank you. All of you. If by some miracle we survive, you're all getting promotions and raises."