Friends in High Places

The phone rang. The Vice President grimly sat down, watching the buzzing phone intently. For a moment, Jason could swear he looked exhausted. The old man looked as if he would like nothing better than to just collapse, as if he was carrying something heavy on his backside. It seemed to take all his effort just to retain his posture in the chair. But the moment passed and the Vice President adjusted his tie, once again looking the picture of a stern official. Jason wondered if he had imagined the moment, perhaps projecting his own dislike of the VP onto him.

His thoughts were distracted a moment later when a voice picked up on the other line. It wasn't the voice of the President but some other man. "Yes sir?" The voice said, his tone sounding like a guy who was ready to receive orders. Probably a Secret Service dude or some random soldier.

"Its urgent," The VP said sternly. "I need to speak to him.

"He's...currently in the middle of his physical therapy session-"

"Physical therapy can wait!" The Vice President barked. "Pass me over to him. Now."

There was a pause then the voice replied. "Of course sir. One moment." Jason folded his arms, listening as there was a scuffling noise on the phone. Then a new voice came on. One he instantly recognized. The President of the United States.

"George," The President said. The VP grimaced slightly and Jason smirked. George. Such an average name for the guy. Jason wondered if the VP didn't like that name. He'd have to experiment later. "What can I do for you?"

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything, sir," The Vice President said. His voice cracked slightly, sounding a bit nervous. Jason raised an eyebrow and noted that too. "But...ah...something extremely important has come up."

"Ah," The President replied, his voice turned more serious. "Yes, I've been briefed on the situation in Quincy. I'll be giving a press conference within the hour. Do we have any intel as to who is responsible for this? I'm sure its no coincidence this happened so soon after the Agency went dark."

"Went dark?" Laureen snorted and stepped forward. The VP shot her a look but she ignored. "Yeah, I know you guys went through the base afterward. It was a shithole, fucking everyone got slaughtered. We almost fucking died! But hey, guess who ain't dead? Yeah, us metas. Guess you, ah, weren't made aware of that after we got picked up in Quincy..."

The Vice President bit his lip. There was a pause at the other end of the line. Then the President said, his voice serious, "...George? Are those kids with you? They're alive?"

"I...yes sir," George replied, leaning over the table. "We found them in Quincy amid the carnage. They...well, from what I understand, they've been on the lamb since the destruction of the Agency base."

"Yeah, on the lamb," Jason interrupted, moving next to the phone. "We've fight the bastards who did this to us! The fuckers who just attacked Quincy! We engaged 'em a few times. They're called the Skeleton Crew."

"Excuse me!" The Vice President stood up angrily, fixing Jason and Laureen with a glare. "I am trying to speak here. Now sit down and-"

"Sir," Tuatara stepped forward. The Vice President paled slightly as the lizard-man approached him, his words dying in his throat. He swallowed. "Shut up."

"What was that?" The President said, his voice sounding perturbed. Laureen leaned back over the phone , propping her elbows up on the table.

"Oh, George is trying to stop us from talking," She said with a chuckle. "I'd say we're owed a conversation with you, Mr. President? Especially since, you know, we've been risking our hides fighting these bastards and our only thanks was to be tossed in cell?"

"Not to mention almost getting stabbed full of syringes," Jason snarled, shooting the Vice President a nasty look.

"Stabbed full of-?" The President paused on the other line. There was a rustling papers before he said, "...I think we should go back to square one. Please, if you will, recount for me everything that happened you lot. Start from the base's destruction."