Delusions

She sat alone in the dark. She was cold, her teeth chattering as her knuckles dug into the moth-eaten mattress she was sitting on. The room around her was cramped, the walls made of pure metal. There were no windows, only a single locked door that wouldn't budge. She knew, she had tried but there was no way out. She...she was trapped.

Jacqueline's fingers dug further into the mattress, ripping through the dirty sheets. She'd been replaying the events of the last few hours over and over again her mind. It all seemed so unreal. But she knew, not matter how much she had tried to deny it, what had happened to her was reality. Everything from the fight at Alcatraz to her final struggle on the Inferno's sinking deck where she'd...she'd...

Jacqueline squeezed her eyes shut. She'd been beaten. They'd torn apart her beautiful suit like animals, rendering her jetpack non-functional, tearing off her weapons like they were pulling free the wings of a fly, before that bug freak had torn off her helmet, her beautiful helmet, that she'd forged with her own hands...tirelessly...her greatest creation had been ruined even as she had fought so, so hard. But...but it just hadn't been enough!

Jacqueline slumped over on her knees. It was like a nightmare. She...she couldn't comprehend it all. And what had come after was even worse. She'd been taken away from her suit, her precious creation, ripped out of it by the brutish hands of the military. She'd tried to fight, oh had she tried, but those monsters had no mercy for her and had torn her out of it. They'd taken her suit away before her eyes, as she herself was bustled away into some maximum security prison. And now she was here, stuffed into some cramped cell, waiting for her tormentors to come.

She felt like crying. Her mind felt like it was on fire, as the moments of her defeat played again and again in her mind. Her fingernails dug harder into the mattress as her teeth clenched together, as she fought back a flood of tears

The Metahuman Agency...those children! Damn them! Damn those little fuckers! They...just...wouldn't die! They'd ruined everything! Their refusal to roll over and let themselves be shot, crushed, or anything had ruined her brilliant scheme! Now they were alive, out there somewhere...mocking her...jeering at her loss as they celebrated their fucking victory! Bastards!

Oh, she could see them in her mind's eye. Their impish grins, mocking her with their monstrous insults as they rested. Oh, she could just see it! She imagined wrapped her fingers around their smug throats and squeezing, strangling the life out of them! They thought they were better than her! They thought she was weak! Well, she'd never just roll down and die! NEVER! Little bastards just couldn't...they couldn't...

Jacqueline's trembling fingers slumped to her sides as she lost her train of thought. She buried her head in her hands, feeling her head slick with sweat. She allowed the tears to come them, cursing hoarsely as she cried into her cupped palms. The bastards! The little bastards! Why...why wouldn't they DIE?!

There was a creak at the door. Jacqueline raised her head, blinking through a haze of tears. A latch opened at the doors bottom and a small food tray was slid inside. A gruff voice snarled outside, "Lunch" before the latch was slammed shut.

Jacqueline stared at the food for a moment. Poorly prepared chicken, some potatoes, and a small helping of corn. I might as well eat poison! She thought angrily, before rising. She grabbed the tray and with a scream, threw it across the room. It rebounded against the wall with a metal clang, the food spraying everywhere before it crashed upside down against the floor.

The outside voice barked: "HEY! If you don't take it easy in there, I'll call the guards."

"Fuck you!" Jacqueline snarled, slamming her hands against the door. The blow hurt her hands and she stumbled back, rubbing at her now aching fingers. But she refused to back down. "Fuck all of you! You monsters, keeping me locked in here like an animal! You don't know...you don't know who you're dealing with! I'm Jacqueline Prescott, you sick motherfuckers! I'll get out of this! And I'll kill all of you!" She gave into a fit of laughter, the surge of anger filling with her with feelings of positivity, the shot of adrenaline drowning out the storm in her mind and the unclean thoughts dragging her down.