The Spider and the Beetle

Jason grunted as he lifted yet another unconscious merc off the ground. He threw the guy over his shoulder, sending a brief spasm of pain through his arm. Thankfully, it was small enough to ignore and he did so, walking forward toward the pile. Audrey walked a few yards ahead of him, three mercenaries clutching in each of her hands. She looked back and said, sounding concerned, "Jason do you want some help?"

Jason shook his head. "No thanks. You've got your hands full anyway." Audrey nodded and stepped over to the side of the humvee, where a pile of unconscious mercenaries lay. She unceremoniously dumped the men she was carrying onto them and Jason threw his own guy on as well. He dusted off his hands.

"Okay that's all of them," He took off his mask and wiped his sweaty brow, sighing. "Now what should we do with them?"

"Well there are several options before us we could for instance..." James said as he moved around Audrey and squatted next to the pile. He began to root through the mercs, collecting pouches of ammo, flashbangs, grenades, and other items off them. "We could leave them here allow any old person to come across them and do what they will with these fine gentlemen not really fine you know I'm being facetious probably obvious but I don't want to give a false impression that well you know that I'm actually concerned for these evil men now that option is simple gets them off our hands but carries many risks such as a few of them waking up and escaping through that fantastic wormhole their companions used we could also call the police perhaps not directly but I don't know how well that would go over with the police to ferry these mysterious men to prison with only a mysterious lead from a mysterious caller sorry for being repetitive anyway-"

Audrey laughed. She threw back her massive head and laughed. Jason looked up at her and couldn't help but smile as well. Her joy was infectious or maybe he was still riding on the high of the four of them being back together. Honestly, seeing James and her hug had put him in a good mood and he wasn't usually too much of a touchy feely guy. But these were his friends and seeing most of them were okay made him feel so damn happy.

Just had to get Laureen and Max now...

James looked up as Audrey laughed and grinned at her. "Did I saw something amusing Audrey if so I'm glad its good to see you so happy after the horror these vile men put you through can you perhaps name the specific part of what I said then I can perhaps continue cheering you up making you happy with well timed comedy?"

Audrey shook her head, the smile not leaving her face. "Nothing you said was particularly funny, James. It's just...its good to see you're okay. I was...I was really scared." She swallowed, the smile fading. "I was afraid I was going to...to die. And you guys would be killed too. But...no. That didn't happen. We're...we're all okay. Except..."

She looked around, her antennae rising. "Where's Laureen and Max? I just noticed they're not here."

"Ah they escaped on The Panther I used my controller for it to direct them automatically to a random nearby location they escaped and landed in Ridge Hill which isn't far from here," James sputtered out, as he returned to scanenging supplies. "We were on our way there actually but we rerouted here since we heard from one mercenary's radio that they were driving to a base transporting you we suspected it was a trap but Jason and I couldn't leave you in enemy hands."

Audrey blushed. She smiled down at Jason. "Thanks." Jason grinned back then gave her a double thumbs up.

James rose, clipping more flashbangs onto his belt. He emptied a few of the merc's pouches and took out a canteen, a wad of dollars, and a med kit. He took at the money, squiting. James sighed and then held it out to Jason. "Jason you must read this for me how much money is there here total apologies."