Respite and Rest

Jason carried James down the road, sweating badly and panting. But he reached the house. He halted before it, looking at the house beyond its locked gate. The house looked like a farmhouse, smoke continuing to billow out of its chimney. There was also a truck parked in the front driveway. Someone was clearly home. Hopefully someone who could maybe help them out.

Jason examined the gate. It seemed to be locked. I could smash it open. Jason considered that but then shook his head. That wouldn't endear him to the house's occupant at all. So instead he adjusted James across his back and jumped over the gate. He landed on the other side, kicking up a cloud of dust. Jason rose, James bouncing a little, and moved forward toward the house.

He strolled up the driveway, passing the truck, and reached the front door. A welcome mat lay in front of the door, depicting a smiling cat curled around the word "WELCOME". A wind chime dangled in front of the door, while a trash can sat before the steps.

Jason raised one hand. He hesitated. What the fuck I am supposed to do here? Knock? He licked his lips. The person inside could freak out. Try and blow me away with a shotgun or something. After all, they were out in the middle of nowhere and he must look like a kind of psycho, hauling an unconscious guy and dressed in a freaky outfit.

Welp, Jason sighed. No other choice, really. Got to hope whoever's inside doesn't freak out at the sight of us. Maybe, just fucking maybe, someone can trust us for once. Acknowledge that we're the good guys! Or we were...Jason shook his head. He rapped on the door.

There was a moment of silence. No one came to the door. Jason frowned. He knocked again, this time a little harder. Not too hard though. He didn't want to knock the door off its hinges.

A long stretch of silence went by. Then the door opened a crack and a person's head stuck out. It was a woman. She looked middle aged, her hair a mess, rubbing her eyes and stifling a yawn. She had probably just rolled out of bed. She was an African-American woman, with a freckled face and somewhat hardened features that suggested she did a lot of physical labor.

"Can I..." She said, supressing another yawn. Her eyes finally opened and the rest of her words died in her throat. She blinked. Then her eyes widened as she looked at Jason.

"Uh..." Jason flashed his best smile. He adjusted James on his back. "Hi there."

The woman continued to stare.

"Uh...listen...my friend and I...we got in a bit of trouble...uh...and um...we were wondering..."

The woman cut him off. "You're one of them," She muttered, looking him over. "You're one of those superheroes I saw on TV."

Jason blinked. Huh. It was weird being recognized. Oh sure, he had been before but he didn't think out here he would be. Still...they had gone on TV recently for that press conference. Guess it was sort of a big deal.

"Uh yeah. That's right. Me and him actually." Jason patted James's arm. James snorted in his sleep. "I'm...the Urban Spider. This here is Midnight. Like I said, we got in a bit of trouble and we could really-"

The woman started to laugh. "Good god..." She rubbed her frazzled hair. "Well. This wasn't the way I expected to start the morning. But damn..." She frowned. "Huh. You're a lot shorter in person, you know."

Jason chuckled at that. "Guess so. I never check. But, uh, can we come in?"

The woman cocked her head. She seemed reluctant. "Well..." She said, her eyes continuing to trail up and down over him. "Well I don't know. They say you all are dangerous. You sound nice enough. But..." She shook her head. "I just don't know. Letting someone like you inside...well..."