Frenzied Pursuit

The Bullet roared down the tunnel for sometime before Jason caught a glimpse of light ahead. The car shot out of the tunnel's exit and screeched a halt, Jason gripping the seat to avoid faceplanting into the dashboard. Recovering himself, he looked out the window.

He saw the tunnel they come from looked like the entrance into a cave, nearly masked behind overgrown bushes and weeds. A "DO NOT ENTER" sign hung over the cave, a trail of dust left by the car slowly dissipating in front of it. James leaned forward, grinning as he pointed at it.

"Cleverly hidden huh even if some hiker or backwoods wanderer or naturalist or park ranger came across it they'd likely be dissuded by the sign the omnious look of the place and even if they did get in there's about three hidden cameras watching as well as some inner countermeasures to dissude further inspection very clever!"

"Yeah," Jason mumbled. He wasn't really that interested in the hidden tunnel right now. Instead, he looked out in the window. It was dark outside but thanks to The Bullet's headlights, he could see they were on a dirt road. Huge trees loomed around the road, swaying in the wind, almost looking like an enormous gnarled fingers in the darkness. They were somewhere in the Freetown State Forest then. The forest was a natural reserve that the headquarters had been in, effectively isolating it from civilization. Guess it hadn't been enough to stop Jacqueline though.

A loud boom rumbled in the distance. Jason looked out through the window and caught of glimpse of a small explosion in the air. The orange light briefly illuminated the night sky and he caught a glimpse of what looked like helicopters hovering, as well as...something big. His eyes widened. The light faded and he wasn't quite sure what exactly he saw but...holy crap. Could she had been telling the truth? Helicopters are up there...does she seriously have a fucking airship too?

"Holy shit..." Jason collapsed back into the sea. He rubbed his head. Laureen and Max...they had just flown right into that mess. They could be shot down after all. His throat tightened and his heart began to hammer like a maniacal drum once more.

"Jason are you alright well probably not we did just ecape from that horrific situation inside of there so the after effects of the adrenaline are probably wearing off I imagine they soon will for me as well but try to calm down deep breaths you know-" James said to him, putting a hand on Jason's shoulder. Jason twisted to him and grabbed James's wrist. His teeth grinded together as he snarled out:

"James," He hissed. "Focus. Cut all this bullshit and focus! We need to track down Laureen and Max! Regroup!" He jabbed his finger at the hidden tunnel. "We just fled from our own base! The Director is in danger! We need to find our friends and figure out a plan to strike back! NOW TRACK THEM!" He screamed the last sentence, not meaning to, but he couldn't help it. This was all too much and he needed, needed, to find Laureen and Max. He wasn't losing anymore people today.

James swallowed and nodded vigorously. "Y-yes of course you're right totally right I apologize sorry sorry sorry." Jason released him and James pulled his phone out of his pocket. He typed away at it and shook his head. "That's not good phone on low power not surprised considering all the strain its been under I really must develop a more efficient power source for it now then-" He pointed out of the car. Jason instinctively followed the guy's finger but didn't see anything. "They're heading west!"

Jason breathed out. He pressed a hand to his chest, trying to calm himself. They're alive. But for how long? He grunted, "We need to get out of here and chase after them." James gave him a thumbs up and slammed his foot on the gas. They shot off down the road, the sudden motion making Jason slam his head against the seat.

The Bullet raced down the dirt road, dark trees zooming past. Jason stared ahead, waiting for another path to present itself but nothing did. It felt like the road was going on forever. Angrily, he gripped the seat harder and hissed, "Jesus, how long is this damn road?!"